Steering Gear Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
My steering gear box is very sloppy and the power steering pump lacks the power.

Power steering pump is a relatively easy replacement. But what I am wondering is about the power steering gear. I don't know much about it. Could I get some tips on replacing it.

Also do I need to order the power steering lines separate from the pump? I was gonna order the acdelco pump from Rock auto and it doesn't look like it comes with new lines.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The slop is almost always not the gear box, but the rag joint. It is an easy replacement. I did mine a few months ago. It made a huge difference.
You must be registered for see images attach

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Where did you get yours?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought the rag joint @ autozone. I replace my steering box 3 times. The first time was because like you I thought the slop was in the box. The second time was because the box had a crack in it, and was leaking. I even tried to weld it, but I could not stop the leak. It wasn't a bad leak, but it would leave PS fluid on the drive way. This one has been ok.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's an original rag join it makes a heck of a difference. I replaced mine when I rebuilt my front end. There is almost no more slop and the truck tracks really good down the road with no drifting or corrections needed. Rockauto sells a really nice USA made one. I think it was about 30 bucks. Very high quality, it should last a long time.

EDS_5_OH

Reaction score
We replaced our steering shaft with the Borgeson unit. Expensive but the truck now feels better than new. We also replaced the steering gearbox with an AGR unit.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked into a Borgeson unit myself but they don't list them for '95-'98. How long does the rag joint swap take? Seems like a good time to do the Pitman arm as well.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rag joint swap, takes a little while. You have to grind off the rivits, and replace them with bolts. Mayby 2 hours or so

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you grab the steering shaft and work it back and forth by hand you will be able to see if the play is in the rag joint. If you do it with the motor running you will be able to see if there is play in the pitman arm. The key must be in the unlocked position of course.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took me about an hour with a bench grinder and a dremel bit. It's a very straightforward operation.

I believe there are some older Jeep universal joint shafts that fit these trucks with little to no modification. Removes the rag joint entirely for almost no slop, but will introduce more road vibration.

I thought about going that route, but for the way I use my truck just replacing the rag joint was best choice for me.