Steering box adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
94 k1500 350tbi z71

I'm about to do most of my front end (ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, and pitman arm) and was wondering if there's any adjustment on the steering box? Also when I do my pitman arm do I need to pull my steering box completely out? Any other tips or info is appreciated.

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I was just looking to try to get my steering as tight as possible but that looks a little more involved. Thanks for the information!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah; either go all the way or don't mess with it at all - too many people just tweak the "easy" one and cause more problems than they started with.

Of course after you replace all the other stuff and get an alignment, you may find there's not enough wear in the box to bother you.

Richard

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I'm hoping for. At 170,000 miles the ball joints are completely shot along with alot of play in the pitman arm. Do I have to disconnect the lines on the steering box to take it out for the pitman arm?

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently did this work on my 98 k1500 sub, yours may be a little different, but I did have to remove the steering box to get the pitman arm off. The front IFS diff was in the way. It really helped to remove the steering box because that arm was on there. I bent the pitman arm puller a little getting it off. Yes, the ps hoses need to be removed along with the steering shaft. I also changed the tie rods and idler arm while I was in there. I did NO adjustments to the steering box. I didn't feel it needed it. After I was done, I drove it for about a week to work before I got an alignment (only about 12 miles a day). It's still straight as an arrow. I almost didn't do the alignment, but I also replaced the upper control arm bushings and could see the top of the tires leaning out a little.

Oh, she's got 204k miles and I believe they were all original parts because the upper ball joints were still riveted in place.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did my pitman on my 94 I removed the box. But that was before I was at a shop.. now when I do them on the gmt400's I use a thick pickle fork and a spacer plate (3/16 steel plate with a grove cut in it) where the fork would hit the gearbox.. loosen the nut till only on by a few threads. Position the plate and fork..smack the cap outta it till the pitman comes loose off the shaft. Then take out lower 2 box bolts and just loosen top one so you can use it as a pivot.. after getting the pitman off the center link I can usually just pivot the box enough to get the pitman out and new one in..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And before anyone says that using a pickle fork and smacking the crap outta it will hurt the box and make it leak.... I've easily done 30+ pitmans on various vehicles(cars and trucks and suv's) the same way and gave never had one crack or leak yet....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk