Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i'm going to put a switch into that DRL circuit......and the main reason is these new "hi-performance" bulbs don't have a very good life expectancy compared to the stock LL(long life bulbs.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
those seem to be the same as the one's i got.....mine came with white "sticky paper" covering the bulb holes......your truck looks great, i don't think i've seen a red one before.

they do have a pretty good cut-off to them. i'm very happy with my choice of product.......what housings did you replace?

The head light housing I replaced was a OEM, well when I got the truck the adjusting screws didn't do anything so I ordered a OEM replacement set from a auto parts store, but as with the original ones the lens was plastic and was getting a little 'foggy'. I like the new ones, and they probably are just like yours. I also went with LED's for front and back lights, and yes also changed the turn signal flasher to an electronic flasher so they would flash at the right speed.

When I went to buy the truck (used) the dealership also offered car fax so I looked it up, it started out as a fleet truck, I read somewhere that the only way you could get that color of red was if it was a fleet truck. I don't know if that is true or not. I was surprised to find a can of rust-oleum paint that is close enough that it is hard to see the difference in color, as any vehicle that is driven in the north, it has a lot of 'cancer' on the lower body parts.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
now that's right cool you posted them pictures up.....they work very well......and i just love that river shot.

give us the complete recipe for your system........and thanks

No problem!

The complete recipe for my lighting on the front end on the red truck is as follows:

Anzo 111004 headlight housings w/Sylvania XtraVision 9005s and 9006s
DNA Motoring BLC10CH parking lights with Sylvania LongLife 2357As
eBay smoked amber corners (discontinued, unfortunately) with Sylvania LongLife 194s
Plus I added some relays to my headlight harness years ago. Same concept as the gmachinz harness, but not nearly as nice. :lol:

I'd post links but this forum is currently butchering any Amazon or eBay link I put up for some reason. Search those part numbers on either site and you'll find my headlights and parking lights, though.

Throwing this one up just because, it's kind of related I swear.

You must be registered for see images

So I'm up at the full service car wash about an hour ago getting the red truck a bath, it was dirty from the river run yesterday. Older guy who guides me into the garage compliments me on the truck as I'm getting out. So naturally we strike up a conversation and he tells me he has a '99 Suburban, and that he REALLY likes what I've done to my lights. He told me he had bought a brand new set of lights for the front of his 'burb about a year ago, but just can't seem to find the time to install it. To make a long story short, he eventually asked me if I'd be interested in doing it for him. Supposed to be 70 degrees here tomorrow, so I told him I'd bring my tools up to the car wash in the morning and throw them on in the parking lot if he brought the truck up there. Here's hoping all goes well... Never worked on someone else's vehicle for pay in my entire life, but I've had these grilles off so many times I feel like I can probably have the whole thing done in under an hour.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
The head light housing I replaced was a OEM, well when I got the truck the adjusting screws didn't do anything so I ordered a OEM replacement set from a auto parts store, but as with the original ones the lens was plastic and was getting a little 'foggy'. I like the new ones, and they probably are just like yours. I also went with LED's for front and back lights, and yes also changed the turn signal flasher to an electronic flasher so they would flash at the right speed.

When I went to buy the truck (used) the dealership also offered car fax so I looked it up, it started out as a fleet truck, I read somewhere that the only way you could get that color of red was if it was a fleet truck. I don't know if that is true or not. I was surprised to find a can of rust-oleum paint that is close enough that it is hard to see the difference in color, as any vehicle that is driven in the north, it has a lot of 'cancer' on the lower body parts.

please take the LED's out of the headlights if you have them in there!

yea, fleet truck. i can see that. like the NYC Fire Dept. trucks and support vehicles.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
No problem!

The complete recipe for my lighting on the front end on the red truck is as follows:

Anzo 111004 headlight housings w/Sylvania XtraVision 9005s and 9006s
DNA Motoring BLC10CH parking lights with Sylvania LongLife 2357As
eBay smoked amber corners (discontinued, unfortunately) with Sylvania LongLife 194s
Plus I added some relays to my headlight harness years ago. Same concept as the gmachinz harness, but not nearly as nice. :lol:

I'd post links but this forum is currently butchering any Amazon or eBay link I put up for some reason. Search those part numbers on either site and you'll find my headlights and parking lights, though.

Throwing this one up just because, it's kind of related I swear.

You must be registered for see images

So I'm up at the full service car wash about an hour ago getting the red truck a bath, it was dirty from the river run yesterday. Older guy who guides me into the garage compliments me on the truck as I'm getting out. So naturally we strike up a conversation and he tells me he has a '99 Suburban, and that he REALLY likes what I've done to my lights. He told me he had bought a brand new set of lights for the front of his 'burb about a year ago, but just can't seem to find the time to install it. To make a long story short, he eventually asked me if I'd be interested in doing it for him. Supposed to be 70 degrees here tomorrow, so I told him I'd bring my tools up to the car wash in the morning and throw them on in the parking lot if he brought the truck up there. Here's hoping all goes well... Never worked on someone else's vehicle for pay in my entire life, but I've had these grilles off so many times I feel like I can probably have the whole thing done in under an hour.

very cool...yea, i can get the front end off in 10 minutes now too, LOL.....like velcro

..i'm on my way out the door to the Verizon store....i need to get my phone fixed.....be back later.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
please take the LED's out of the headlights if you have them in there!

yea, fleet truck. i can see that. like the NYC Fire Dept. trucks and support vehicles.

I guess I wasn't clear when I said LED's, the LED's are the turn signals, front and rear, not the headlights. The one thing I do like about the head light assembly is I ordered a pair of these for the high beam, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480J5CW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I didn't have to do any trimming on the tabs to make them fit, it was like they were manufactured for the bulbs.

These are the front turn signals I put in, http://www.ebay.com/itm/361870153350?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT these are the rear stop / turn I put in, http://www.ebay.com/itm/281104263111?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT also put in this LED in the back up light https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPIUFMM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can see behind me now when I back up. And not to stop there this is the this is the cargo / 3rd stop light I put on, http://www.ebay.com/itm/281384304985?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT With this piece I did have to cut one wire so it wouldn't run on low light when the inside interior lights were off. Found the solution searching the internet.

Micah Wells

Reaction score
Question, about LED's. I've read the majority of this thread(not all, pretty long). Is the problem running LED's the lights themselves(quality?), or the headlight assemblies for these trucks aren't meant for LED's?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Question, about LED's. I've read the majority of this thread(not all, pretty long). Is the problem running LED's the lights themselves(quality?), or the headlight assemblies for these trucks aren't meant for LED's?

Read the link immediately above ^^.

Page 91, light source selection.

To answer both parts of your question, yes. The headlight assemblies are manufactured for one type of replaceable light source, halogen capsules of the 9005 and 9006 type, only. With slight modification, they will accept an electrically and optically compatible HIR 9011 and 9012 in place of the 9005 and 9006 respectively.

Optically compatible, meaning the filament positioning to the reflector is exact, as compared to the 9005 and 9006, the base diameter is the same. Note, a non-exact filament positioning will not be 'optically compatible'.

A headlamp 'assembly' consists of several parts, a replacement light source ( bulb ) that is of a defined, legislated type. Next, there is a reflector and a *lens* that comprises the optical system, in addition with a precision light source placement. Finally, you have the aiming system, that must be free of defects such as broken / stripped adjusters, etc. The headlamp assembly must not rock or move when adjusted.

Note, the accuracy of an aiming system is required to be adjusted to a tolerance of 0.1%.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

there's a few places in this thread where this topic has been addressed as michael just stated, quite concisely too.

99% of the people that do this "conversion" sa "it's much brighter! i can see better! blablabla"......i tried LED's on my bike to test, it's crap..straight up ****...and i bought good stuff too.....it's especially bad to oncoming traffic.........then you have folks that say they adjusted them correctly to have no glare(dazzling).....if your light is adjusted DOWN to not blind or annoy other drivers they're NOT adjusted correctly......period, LOL

same goes with "HID conversion"....... for the exact same reasons.

your optics(eyeballs) are fooled into seeing some what's different, not better........

if one wants LED's or HID's we suggest you buy those lights and make an auxiliary headlight system....with quality lights DESIGNED as lights with the proper approval to use on public roadways........what one does on the trail is their business.

i sure as fu@k wasn't no "legal beagle" the first 40 years of my life, that's not the issue......but i set out to build a very good DOT and SAE system that is far superior to what came out of General Motors....we're happy with the results.

we believe my videos show that.....i'm VERY impressed what can be done withing the confines of the stupid laws this country adopted as far as vehicle optics are concerned...(think e-code lights)....there's more than one way to skin a cat.......this was my way.

hope you do read this exasperatingly long saga.....a lot of information has been given out. we've pretty much touched on the majority of lighting subjects.......it's good ****.