Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i didn't see this post before.

sorry to hear about your wife man....you have a guardian angel for sure now.

they may have changed the laws, don't know.....but when i lived upstate you could have them November to April.....where i lived we generally got snow from October to usually April, sometimes May.......one year i had snow under the pine trees on my land in June, think it was '98 or '99

After she and I moved to Kalkaska County (from Oakland County) back in the fall of 73' there were a few years where we used studded tires, but I forget what year it was the local tire place we went to, to get snow tires told us they couldn't sell them anymore because when people get stuck they would spin their studded tires and would slowly chew up the roads. So to save money (so they could spend it else where) the government made it illegal to sell them.

===========
Edited this after I noticed that this post was #1000 on this thread. Yeah us!!!!!!!!

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just let the ****** nozzle pass.....i used to toss big ball bearings over my shoulder when someone behind me annoyed me....now i just let em go......compounding the problem becomes another problem. though a quick flash of the bumper lights FEELS good.....

why does ANYONE need to drive with brights on in a city? WTF are they trying to see?
I did the ball bearing thing when I used to ride. I called them AWD,s. Anti-Windshield Device. The guys I rode with thought it was brilliant.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
wow....all that crawlin around really beat me up....i haven't used my body this much in over two months. i'm more screwed up than i remember.

going out in a few to continue the slow progress on my project(s)......one of the things i've been pondering is the way the Spyder housings capture the bulbs. it's a really bad design. i talked about this issue somewhere in the beginning of the install and testing. for those that haven't followed along this is the issue:

You must be registered for see images attach

there are 3 "machine" screws that hold down the bulb tabs when you twist them in.....the chamfer on the screw pushes the bulb into the housing......unlike the stock housing's longer and less "steep" angle, this setup doesn't allow for much contact between the tab and the screw.....making it very easy to pop out as there isn't much point of contact or friction......it's a bad execution of the simple design element that works with most any other light setup.

maybe my description wasn't easy to understand, but those of mechanical aptitude will understand what i mean........i'm having a hard time thinking of a way to modify it be more secure......sans any type of "silicone" product.

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I did the ball bearing thing when I used to ride. I called them AWD,s. Anti-Windshield Device. The guys I rode with thought it was brilliant.

and 1oz fishing weights.........but spark plugs made for a better "oops" should in the event there could be any type of LEO "intervention"......almost every Harley pilot carries extra (correct application) plugs, right?

now-a-days these people just try to kill you on purpose....actually they aggressively chase you down and try to knock you off or crush you.......it's a fu@kin epidemic......some "unknowing" people ask me why all my engines have been modified.....they think it's for top end speed, which is not true anymore.......when i twist that wick i want to go NOW......bottom end torque is a self defence mechanism, plain and simple.

today i rely on strobing brake lights and horse power......swerving assholes can hurt innocent people.....i developed a more refined conscience after i got sober 10 1/2 years ago.

Last edited:

92silverado1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow....all that crawlin around really beat me up....i haven't used my body this much in over two months. i'm more screwed up than i remember.

going out in a few to continue the slow progress on my project(s)......one of the things i've been pondering is the way the Spyder housings capture the bulbs. it's a really bad design. i talked about this issue somewhere in the beginning of the install and testing. for those that haven't followed along this is the issue:

there are 3 "machine" screws that hold down the bulb tabs when you twist them in.....the chamfer on the screw pushes the bulb into the housing......unlike the stock housing's longer and less "steep" angle, this setup doesn't allow for much contact between the tab and the screw.....making it very easy to pop out as there isn't much point of contact or friction......it's a bad execution of the simple design element that works with most any other light setup.

maybe my description wasn't easy to understand, but those of mechanical aptitude will understand what i mean........i'm having a hard time thinking of a way to modify it be more secure......sans any type of "silicone" product.

I think I posted this already but I might not have or you may have missed it. I put an o-ring in each one and it keeps them in there snug. Not sure of the size though, I just have a box full of o-rings I took them out of

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I think I posted this already but I might not have or you may have missed it. I put an o-ring in each one and it keeps them in there snug. Not sure of the size though, I just have a box full of o-rings I took them out of

a different ,thicker one.....or an additional one? i'll be looking into this a bit later today......i have to trim the grill unit around the top corner parking light to allow for more adjustment.....i think the driver-side vertical adjuster is stripped too.

92silverado1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
a different ,thicker one.....or an additional one? i'll be looking into this a bit later today......i have to trim the grill unit around the top corner parking light to allow for more adjustment.....i think the driver-side vertical adjuster is stripped too.

An additional one. And in the reviews on Amazon alot of people said they had to trim the grill. . . Which reminds me, do your running lights hit the core support?

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
An additional one. And in the reviews on Amazon alot of people said they had to trim the grill. . . Which reminds me, do your running lights hit the core support?

no, but if the wires get behind the connector block it's tight....i have to go out and address that after lunch.

the Spyder housing brackets are not as good as stock...the lenses do move and are "looser" than they were.

i had to make temporary compromises to get this 'functionally finished' so i can go back to work next week.....and was very lucky to have had 3 beautiful days in a row...rain tomorrow, i can feel it....... there's a few things that have to be addressed down the road, so i will be opening her up again in the spring.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
ok...i moved the fogs outward and forward in the bumper a bit....tonight we'll see if this addressed the width, or lack thereof, of the beam pattern

playing around with the wires got me to this point again.....it wasn't very hard to do either.....****** design for sure.