Spider on 97 GMC Vortec bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 1997 GMC Z71 5.7 with a BRAND NEW MOTOR, but number 3 and 5 plugs are missing at idle. Drove it a while and now it's DEAD! It will not fire at all! Yall think the Spider is bad? If so where can I get one in Birmingham Alabama, QUICK, without paying out the a##? Or should I swap it to a carb and what kinda money and how hard is that?

Thanks, "SEMPER FI", Grant

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You're nuts for driving it for a while knowing that those cylinders where out. You should have diagnosed the problem then and gotten it figured out. It would have been a lot easier since you already pin pointed which cylinders weren't firing.

As far as it being dead and what it may be, what makes you think that it's the spyder? Just a wild guess out of nowhere? You need to actually diagnose the problem and find out what it is before throwing a bunch of parts at it. Does the engine turn over?

Remember about all 4 stroke engines. Suck Squeeze Bang and Blow! If your engine doesn't run it's either it's not getting air/fuel, it's not getting compression, it's not getting spark, or exhaust is not getting out.

The engine not running may be something like a clog in a fuel line or even a dead fuel pump. Try pouring a little bit of gas into the throttle body and turning it over and see if it starts up. If it does, take your bed off and pull the hose off of the out line on the fuel pump and turn the truck over, if it pumps fuel out then there is a clog in your fuel lines. If it doesn't then the pump is bad.

If it doesn't fire up by pouring fuel into the TB then it's time to check spark. Make sure all your plugs are sparking. If they aren't, check the wires, check the distributor, and make sure you have a good set of ACDelco plugs that are gapped right.

Next it's time to check compression. Get a compression checker. start pulling plugs and checking the compression and make sure it's adequate.

Engines are a lot more simple if you think of it in the 4 strokes. The easiest one for me to remember is like I said earlier. Suck, Squeeze, Bang, and Blow.

Mik3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just need to start by making sure you have spark and fuel. If no fuel, look into the fuel system and if no spark, look into the ignition system. Crank/No Start usually means either a fuel or ignition problem.

will85iroc

Reaction score
I have the exact same trouble with my 1997 Yukon gt. I put a capful of gas into the t.b (350 vortec) and it fired for about 2-3 seconds then dies.. I put a little more gas in and it ran for about 3-4 seconds... someone told me to bump gas tank with rubber mallet to kick start the fuel pump but it didn't work... I wd40'd the filter over night and will try and change later .. if the fuel filter is good should I go with the fuel pump change?? or fpr??

will85iroc

Reaction score
fyi, the truck ran good all morning until I turned It off then it wouldn't restart... does the fuel pump normally go bad when the vehicles turns off and if so, how was my truck running if the fuel pump went bad?? thnx all...

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
try depressing the shrader valve at the back of the intake where youd hitch the pressure tester to see if gas squirts out with key on,then try and start it if it runs the fpr is not working right,if no luck with that fuel pump is bad just went thru this on my k3500 fuel pump went, still need to do fpr it acts up on some days not letting it start after running for a while depress valve and it starts

will85iroc

Reaction score
do u have a pic of the shrader valve? and if fuel does squirt out, how is the fuel bad? or is it just remaining fuel in the line? will the pump still send gas if def, just not at correct psi?

will85iroc

Reaction score
besides the fuel pump relay under the hood in the fuse box, is there a fuse in line with relay that i can check??? thanks again...