Spider on 97 GMC Vortec bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im sorry......but please dont poor gas down the intake.......use some type of aerosol brake cleaner or starter fluid. Ive have seen two bad accidents because of people pooring liquid gas down the intake, and one resulted in a burned truck and another with 3rd degree burns to his face.

Spider injection can be diagnosed by a misfire at idle that clears up in higher rpms. A bad spark plug would tend to be opposite of that or all the time. If you have access to a GM Tech II or something similar you can help diagnose it further. Most spider replacements change you over to MPI fairly easily.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Many times, if it leaks, you can kind of tell when looking into the intake. Sometimes you may have to take the upper plastic plenum (I think that's what it's called...) off to see. Not a very big job to do.

Found a couple of the lines to be leaking on my truck when I was swapping the intake gaskets out. I just threw in a used unit I had laying around...not ideal, but it got me back on the road that weekend.

I second being very careful when dumping fuel down the intake. I've done it many times...but use extreme caution. I've heard of Vortecs backfiring and frying stuff.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
And the shrader valve of however it's spelled, looks like I tire valve cap in a valve stem.