Speedometer reads way too fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got this fixed I think. My dad found a cluster from a v6 truck, it said 95 model on the rear of the cluster. I wasn’t sure it would work but I swapped it anyway and everything including the speedo seems to work properly now. Odometer has the wrong mileage now and the gauges are faded more compared to my old cluster but I’m just happy it worked. Temp still sits at 150-160, but my heat works great so I don’t know what’s up with that. My 98 with a 350 always ran dead on 210 so this is new, but I’ve heard several others say that their trucks run at 160 as well. As far as tire size goes, it’s only had 265-75-16 on it for the last 12 years.

You can swap the odometers between clusters. Unplug the motor connector, unscrew a couple of brass screws and separate the red coupler that connects to the trip odometer.

What is the engine coolant temperature sensor reporting for the coolant temperature? You'd need a scanner to read it, but I'd go with that value over the gauge on the cluster. It is the value that the computer uses.

I kind of doubt that these gauges are intended to be "that" accurate. Given the goofy scale, it's hard to tell at a glance just what it is reading.

For example, what temperature is mine reading?

You must be registered for see images attach

I suppose the tick halfway between 100 and 210 is 155, but then you have to stop to think just what the hell the minor marks are.

If we have to spend more than a couple of seconds figuring out what a gauge reads, I'd say that it's mainly for decoration at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcountry78

Reaction score
I’ve read about swapping the odometers around but I wasn’t sure I wanted to get that involved. The new one reads about 24k higher than actual, the original is at 195k and the new one is at 219k. It’s only an issue if I ever sell the truck which I don’t plan to.

As far as the temp goes, both clusters have reported 155-160 so that’s what I’m going with. I’ve always found GM gauges to be fairly accurate, which is more than I can say for Ford products. It’s just odd because every other truck I’ve ever had has always ran at 210. But they’ve also always been v8, whether they were 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 or 6.0. This is my first 4.3 ever so maybe it’s just a v6 thing.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity though, if it was stuck open would the heat still work properly?

Yes, you would still have heat if it was stuck open.

This is my first 4.3 ever so maybe it’s just a v6 thing.

My red truck is a 4.3L and it sits right at 200. Personally I'd be a little concerned about 160.

bigcountry78

Reaction score
I may pull the old one out and test it. I would like to get this taken care of before it gets butt numb cold here. Another question, any way to change the cluster bulbs out? Looks like the new one has a bulb out, and by looking at my old one it looks like the bulbs just twist and pull out. But I want to make sure before I break something else.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I may pull the old one out and test it. I would like to get this taken care of before it gets butt numb cold here. Another question, any way to change the cluster bulbs out? Looks like the new one has a bulb out, and by looking at my old one it looks like the bulbs just twist and pull out. But I want to make sure before I break something else.

There's a good tutorial here for swapping the cluster bulbs to LEDs, should have the info you need.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/interiorLED.html

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another question, any way to change the cluster bulbs out? Looks like the new one has a bulb out, and by looking at my old one it looks like the bulbs just twist and pull out. But I want to make sure before I break something else.

They just twist and remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcountry78

Reaction score
Well I put a new 195 thermostat in today and now the gauge reads about where east302’s pic does up there. It’s an improvement but not by much. It did warm up faster so maybe it wasn’t a complete waste of $10.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I put a new 195 thermostat in today and now the gauge reads about where east302’s pic does up there. It’s an improvement but not by much. It did warm up faster so maybe it wasn’t a complete waste of $10.

Just out of curiosity did you get the ACDelco part number I posted up? I've had issues with Stants and other aftermarket brands in the past but that factory ACDelco thermostat has never given me issues.

Either way, glad it improved at least a little.

bigcountry78

Reaction score
I didn’t, I just stopped by the parts store on a whim and bought the premium offering. I still might order the ac delco one just for kicks