speedometer problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff1953

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early 1999 Chevy Tahoe 4x4, my speedometer does not work, I have changed the speedometer, front wheel speed sensor, changed speed sensor in the transfer case on passenger side, is another sensor I have not found or any other idea that might help me get it going. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Does the transmission shift correctly? Any codes? The PCM gets its speed signal from the speed sensor on the rear housing(output shaft) of the transmission(2wd) or t-case(4wd).The pcm then sends a signal to the speedometer. If you had a speed sensor bad the transmission would not shift correctly.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Like @Phillip Buessing said, check for codes. Does your tach and odometer not work either? If all three items don't work, it's probably an ignition switch causing this issue.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect scan tool, use scan tool to control instrument cluster. The tool should be able to swing all the gauge needles from bottom of scale to top of scale on command.

Any that don't work could be faulty ECM, faulty wiring or connections, faulty cluster circuitry...but are most likely faulty stepper motors.