Speaker upgrade suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
They aren't tied together... The modules are separate, but the bezels do "mesh" together to appear somewhat seamless. There is an option for putting an aftermarket head in there, but as I recall it's not exactly cheap, and the quality of it is debatable. I'd have to search for the link again tho.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They aren't tied together... The modules are separate, but the bezels do "mesh" together to appear somewhat seamless. There is an option for putting an aftermarket head in there, but as I recall it's not exactly cheap, and the quality of it is debatable. I'd have to search for the link again tho.
Thanks, must be remembering the dash on my 91 incorrectly

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
To my knowledge you're stuck with off the shelf options fitting the center, or going full custom due to the fact that the HVAC controls are tied to the main unit to the right of the instrument panel.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Well crap. I wasn't aware the radio and HVAC is one unit. I just ASSUMED the radio could removed as a separate unit. Well at least for now I can do a speaker upgrade.

Thank you!

Ken

kenh

Reaction score
We were all posting at the same time. lol Is crutchfield a good place to research/purchase something to fit? Any other recommendations? Like I say I'm not totally opposed to a center mount radio but it is nice to have the radio in the factory location. In a perfect world that is.

Ken

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After reading this thread I'm confused.....more than ever but we won't go there quite yet. lol

I have a 1990 regular cab. The speakers are so, so and the buttons on the head unit (stock) are looking pretty ratty. I'm not all that concerned about using an aftermarket radio but I kind of like the factory location rather than in the center of the dash. Are there any options to have something in the stock location?

I don't have a huge budget to play with. in fact it is quite small. I'm thinking I'll start with speakers as at least that is what makes the noize.

Thanks!

Ken

The Retrosound Santa Cruz M4 will fit the factory location, but doesn't exactly play nice with your limited budget. No CD player either if that's important to you. Just USB inputs, Bluetooth, and SiriusXM compatibility.

EDIT - And AM/FM of course.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068SANTACR/RetroSound-Santa-Cruz-M4.html

And yes, Crutchfield is a good place to research. Usually a little more expensive than most other places, but sometimes that equals out with the free installation gear they provide.

Last edited:

kenh

Reaction score
Wow! That retro sound is a little on the pricey side. I think I'll pass! LOL I'll do some research on the Crutchfield site and see what strikes my fancy.

Thank you!

Ken