Solid Axle Conversion Tech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
just do 4 or 5 in. thats fine for a towing vehicle. im asking all the questions becuase these are just weak points in my understanding that i needed clarification on. a drop tow hitch and it will work wonders theres a few guys who do it on here. when i do my SAS i only want 6-7 inches

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
man i relaly want to do this... theres a few fords forsale on craigslist. theres a roling chassis from a 76-79 f150 i want the front axle lol. off road designs brackets 8 lug chevy outers with a 14bold rear with black pro comp classic lock wheels. around 6inches of lift and take off my body lift. i had the ifs crossmember pepple leave upfront so id get that cut out and weld a new one in and maybe make a front winch crossmember too while im up there. do many of yall run steering stabilizers too with the sas? i cant stand my ifs. i only have 3inch bl with lil mroe than 2 on crank and i fit 35s but i need some more space and my front end just does whatever it wants and ive replaced about everything too. it dont ride worth a crap and when my rear goes im going to re gear it and put a bigger rear end in and swap the fornt out later

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Hey Tyler, I searched off and on til about 4 am last night but didn't come up with a whole lot. I'll do some more searching tonight.

I've seen sas's done with and without steering stabilizers. Usually, you can get away without one bc you rebuild the axles with new parts and steering stabilizers "stabilize" steering to help worn out parts, and to keep from wearing parts out faster.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i didnt mean for you to stay up that late, i searched til bout two i got a few sites but nothing concrete on using stock type parts for steering.
i think if i can get steering stabilizers ill use them as it cant hurt they only thing it could possibly do is limit how much ecesive wear components have and maybe add some life to them

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
just do 4 or 5 in. thats fine for a towing vehicle. im asking all the questions becuase these are just weak points in my understanding that i needed clarification on. a drop tow hitch and it will work wonders theres a few guys who do it on here. when i do my SAS i only want 6-7 inches

I'm not using lift springs, not gonna happen. 5" isn't fine for a tow vehicle, especially considering what I tow. The hitch isn't any concern at all, the stability at speed is why I am not going to lift it. I've owned many lifted trucks and used them to tow with, I am very aware of how they perform. 5-6" is okay for a truck that is towing a single axle utility trailer or a small boat once in a while, but towing max capacity plus routinely the truck should not be lifted.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Assuming you mean sway bar. It isn't necessarily an issue as much as it is an annoyance. The truck will sway more, it will catch more air and it will be more unstable. Not to the point of really being dangerous but the fact that I want to retain the ease of driving with a load that it currently has means I am not going to lift it. I'd rather have it 2wd than 4wd and lifted. Only thing that bothers me now is I bought the ORU kit and a Dana 44. I already had the NP208 but if I end up using an IFS set-up it looks like I'll need to pick up a driver side drop T-case. Gonna end up costing me double what it should have.