Solid Axle Conversion Tech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Well you can always make your own bracket kit. It's very possible, and done a whole lot as well. But it's like Danny (a member here) told me, with the kits, you not only get the brackets and everything to do it, but you get a guaranteed fitment, and you know it's done "right". You could make your own brackets and get it all put in and go to put the last bolt in, and realize the bracket was just just a Jair off, and the bolt won't go in.. Sas are expensive, and there's not much way around that. You can do it very cheap, but in the end, it's just that, cheap..

But also on that note, with the right knowledge and the right tools, you could do it cheap, and safely..

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i agree with the brackets i wouldnt skimp out on that even though it pains me to watch 700 bucks go on braketry. on the other hand the crossover stuff should be more plentiful like you go to your auto parts or off road truck shop and you can easily pick out a few in stock pieces and they will work with some thought put into it. theres a site i just saw called pavement sucks they had a tech section for SAS which is one of the best writeups yet. its just the pitman and drag link im gtting stuck on as for everything else like the tac bar/ tierods and all that can easily be made for much cheaper than what the kit has to offer with the same results.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I've all but given up on my SAS now. Can't get the damned thing to clear without a big lift. I've been looking for a suitable(stronger than the GM IFS crap) IFS to swap in. Haven't found much in the realm of affordability. Been thinking about turning the D44 I have into a semi independent system by mounting it to the drivers side and using a fixed intermediate axle with short and beefy CV axles. Only way I'll be able keep the solid axle without lifting the truck is to relocate the engine back a few inches and move the axle forward a few inches. I'm dead set against lifting it, no way no how. The H3 has a cast iron IFS housing with an optional locker, I've looked into it but they are fairly pricey. The Trailblazer SS used something similar to the 1500 IFS trucks but it uses a 14 bolt with a locker and 6 lug axles. The way this is going I'll be lucky to have it finished by spring.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Did you research any before you started tempted? The first thing you learn about sas's are that you all but HAVE to lift it at least 3-4 inches to clear the oil pan... There's no way around that.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I did research, knew it could pose a problem but I was hoping to figure out a way to make it work. And the minimum lift as actually closer to 6". The ORU kit lifts it about three and they say you need to use 3" lift springs as well. I could deal with 3, not much different than now, but 6 is way to high for a truck that is saddled with heavy towing constantly. I did it for use as a work truck, not an offroad toy. I'll actually use the 4wd for pulling loads on unpaved surfaces so the crappy stock IFS won't cut it.