smog problems! any input would be great

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got a 99 Chevy k1500 suburban with the 5.7. I replaced the cap, rotor, plug wires, and plugs due to a random miss. Now that that is taken care of the truck runs great but on my scanner (innova 31603) it has 3 LEDs that indicate if you will pass smog or not. Green for go, yellow for might not pass, and red for your not gona pass. I drove it back and forth to work a couple days and nothing comes up on the scanner the check engine light is not on and everything seems to be fine. I can't figure out for the life of me what's going on. Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing before? I can't find anything on the forum pertaining to my situation.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
The innova 31603 is a quick check scan tool. The reason it says not ready is because not all the monitors have run yet. It should tell you what monitor hasn't run.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O well I put it through the drive cycle yesterday and it came up with 2 codes 1. P0300 random misfire 2. P0430 catalyst system low efficiency bank 2. So the way I figure it is the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires didn't take care of the random misfire, and the passenger side cat needs to be replaced? And also the evap module on the scanner didn't stop blinking so could this mean that I might have a vacuum leak? Any thoughts?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
yes, P0430 Is the passenger side convertor, so it does need to be replaced. The P0300 could be caused by carbon build up on the valves, a vacuum leak, even the cam and crank corralation being off.

The EVAP flashing just means that monitor hasn't ran yet.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Twomanymontes thank you for your help. Now the only problem is finding a "California legal" cat. Almost everything I find is 59 state approved and not legal for sale In cali. And if they are California approved there a couple hundred a piece or over six hundred for the whole shabang, the bolt on kit that has both cats and the from the headers back.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
Twomanymontes thank you for your help. Now the only problem is finding a "California legal" cat. Almost everything I find is 59 state approved and not legal for sale In cali. And if they are California approved there a couple hundred a piece or over six hundred for the whole shabang, the bolt on kit that has both cats and the from the headers back.

Did the USA get bigger when I wasn't looking? Lol

Check for universal ones on places like summit racing. They have California legal ones.

-Jesse '96 C1500 5.7L 2WD