Slip yoke clunk 93 C2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting a clunk in the driveline that I'm 90% sure is the (apparently infamous) GM slip yoke clunk. The noise comes when coming to a stop, when I lift off the brake, and when I accelerate. It doesn't occur if you shift into neutral when coming to a stop. The sound is very similar in tone to this Youtube, and definitely occurs under the same conditions as in the video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I also replaced the transmission mount tonight thinking it could be a source of the problem. Nope.

Seems like the solutions fall into two categories. Either remove the shaft and lube the slip yoke splines with grease, or replace the yoke with something nickel-plated or better. I'm OK with the former but would prefer the latter.

So, if I decide to just grease it for now, I'm wondering if this is a bad idea since it is a 2WD and you would think any grease on the splines would possibly make their way into areas of the transmission where you don't want it. I'm also not inclined to bathe in tranny fluid when I pull the yoke out. Am I completely wrong on these?

Now, for the second option (replace the yoke), I cannot find any stock replacement yokes on the typical sources (AutoZone, O'Reilly, RockAuto), but the aftermarket has no shortage. That being said, the aftermarket seems to want to do everything by specs and not application (i.e. spline count, length, u-joint style, etc). Has anyone done this and have any recommendations on what to get?

Mike

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled mine out years ago (jack up the rear of the truck to avoid a mess), cleaned up the splines with a can of brakleen and a rag, lubed the splines with some atf and worked it back and forth a few times (with seal off) until it moved super easy. Buff the shaft where the seal rides too or it'll leak, and put on a new seal while you're there. Also check the carrier bearing rubber, if it's shot the same effect will happen at low speeds. If it moves around at all not a bad idea to change it while you're down there.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
You shouldnt get doused in trans fluid when you pull it out. You should get some dribble, maybe a 100mL or so. Have a catch can and a rag with you.

I did what 90Halfton said he did. Cleaned it up when I rebuilt the rear end a year and a half ago. No clunk so far.