Slave: Internal or External? Which is better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry...my truck was already an NV4500; I just swapped old style (1994) for new style (1996), so I didn't need to change driveshafts. This was my '94 3500HD that I swapped a '96 Vortec 7.4/NV4500 into.

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Not sure a Dremel is going to get the job done. :( I used a 1/4" die grinder on mine and ate up a lot of compressor time doing it. It's too bad you already have the hole for the old mc, or you could use a hole saw. Kind of tough using a hole saw on a pre-existing hole that is too large for a pilot bit...unless someone knows some hole saw tricks that I don't. :gr_grin:

Richard
Simple, bolt a thin piece of metal to the back, drill your pilot hole in that, then hole saw away. If bolting is not an option, it can be temporarily be tack welded. Done it many times.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good point. The two existing bolt holes for the old mc would make a great place to attach. :)

Richard

heavychevy98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Part number for the master changed in 92 so you may be able to get a 95 master with a 96 line and be good to go. Worth lookin into. I know a 98 master with a 95 line will work so I assume the other way around would as well as long as 88 and 95 masters mount the same.

SalahHH83

Reaction score
Dang! I wish I had known. I actually was able
To get the MC to fit. I followed your advice with the die grinder but what really worked well
Was a rotary file bit on a drill. I had to remove the clutch pedal assembly from inside bc the steel on it was sandwiched behind the firewall and was far too thick to open up with a die grinder. I used an angle grinder to open up the clutch pedal opening and was able to twist in the new style MC into the firewall then reinstall the clutch pedal assembly. Now I just need to bleed the system and hopefully everything will work well.

This morning I'm going to head over to the local junkyard and try to find a suitable center slip yoke driveshaft that will work with the nv4500. I started up the engine on Friday with the shifter installed and the nv4500 shifts nicely so far

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Dunno - checking part #'s, the 95 does appear to simply use the old style MC. Haven't tried directly using one on a 96-up line.

Glad to hear you were able to get that opening shaped out and the master cylinder mounted up.

Richard

SalahHH83

Reaction score
Of course after getting everything together I ran into an issue. The clutch I used was an 88 style. Apparently the pressure plate on the 96+ must be thicker bc the internal slave doesn't reach all the way. Guess I'll have to get a 96+ Pressure plate and try again... :gunner: