Skid Plates??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
So I guess I should rephrase then. In the year plus I spent looking for one on who knows how many trucks at multiple pull a parts that I go to I never saw one on a 95+. The one I finally got was on an 88, so just check every 4x4 truck you see until you find one. Ymmv....

With these trucks built in multiple factories all over the country there are going to be differences...

I guess it means I will be searching for a long time. Thanks for the help

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i pulled mine straight out the junk yard. got the diff plate off the same truck. just go to a junk yard that doesnt really get picked through as much. i know where i go most of the gmt400s have almost everything that had factory. a couple have no rear ends but thats really the only things missing from them.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
just go to a junk yard that doesnt really get picked through as much.

I wish!

The main yards get picked quick and then their crushed in a matter of 3-4 weeks. The yards that have stuff for longer are mostly crap! Rusty hulks that should have been crushed years ago.

As a group, we have been traveling to yards over the last 5 years looking for anything cool. If there is something good, we have grabbed it. I guess we will have to start spreading out past the 150 mile zone.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish!

The main yards get picked quick and then their crushed in a matter of 3-4 weeks. The yards that have stuff for longer are mostly crap! Rusty hulks that should have been crushed years ago.

As a group, we have been traveling to yards over the last 5 years looking for anything cool. If there is something good, we have grabbed it. I guess we will have to start spreading out past the 150 mile zone.

Where I go the owner doesnt crush 400s. He only crushes like 80s to 90s small sedans and worthless vehicles. We dont have much rust down here lol

Sent from my 355 powered Galaxy Tab 3

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Went to the local junkyard today and went through every truck there. Not one skid plate to be found. Just as we were ready to head out, I saw them dragging in a rotted 91 Chevy K1500 W/T. 1st one there right after they dropped it in the row. Had all 3 aluminum skid plates!!! Dirty and slightly pitted, but were intact. Grabbed the front plate and the differential plate.

Cleaned them up and will try to mount them tomorrow.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bracket for the 94 GMC is "L" shaped and does it bolt some where on the front differential itself ? I did a VIN check with a part # 15567534 an it states not for my truck...

Attachments

• skid plate bracket.jpg
    skid plate bracket.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 15

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not attached to the front differential itself... Looking closer at it, it goes through the frame (Upper Bolt that holds the bracket in place)....The front of the skid plate is bolted to the cross member ...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It's not attached to the front differential itself... Looking closer at it, it goes through the frame (Upper Bolt that holds the bracket in place)....The front of the skid plate is bolted to the cross member ...

This thread is 10 years old.