Signal/wiper speed arm on column on its last legs help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my 1994 GMC k1500 ecsb the speed adjustment for my wipers on the signal arm is really loose, I can move it up and down, freely without the part attached to the column moving, what can I do to fix this? I'm assuming I'll need to pull my column out and go find a new one, if so how do I do it?
You must be registered for see images

Sent from the Sierra Club

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a pain the butt... You need to change the switch.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
It looks like you just need a new turn signal lever. If you turn it to the right place (the wiper delay), the whole thing will just pull out of the column. I can't really tell but if it does not have cruise, there will not be any wires attached to it. Firmly pull out as you rotate it back and fourth, it will just pop out when its in the right spot. New one costs around $20.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's a pain the butt... You need to change the switch.
Negatory. What the others said - it just needs the lever. The actual wiper switch is inside the column and actuated by the rod inside the lever.

I'd get the lever from GM (or a GM part from an online source) - the cheapie one at the parts house, well, I'm not impressed. You'll definitely spend more though.

The wire that runs down the column is for the cruise functions. It plugs into a connector under the dash near the driver's left knee area; look for a bright orange end on the connector. When you unplug it you'll see a hole in the connector. Hook some mechanic's wire through it and then fish it up through the column, then you can use that mechanic's wire to fish the new one back down through. Actually not difficult at all if you take your time.

Richard

98_k1500

Reaction score
Negatory. What the others said - it just needs the lever. The actual wiper switch is inside the column and actuated by the rod inside the lever.

I'd get the lever from GM (or a GM part from an online source) - the cheapie one at the parts house, well, I'm not impressed. You'll definitely spend more though.

The wire that runs down the column is for the cruise functions. It plugs into a connector under the dash near the driver's left knee area; look for a bright orange end on the connector. When you unplug it you'll see a hole in the connector. Hook some mechanic's wire through it and then fish it up through the column, then you can use that mechanic's wire to fish the new one back down through. Actually not difficult at all if you take your time.

Richard

Correct, If memory serves me right, you should be able to see the cruise switch in the pics if it had it, so there shouldn be any wires to deal with at all, its just a rod that operates the switch inside the column.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll stop by the dealership on my way home, to get one, switch works good, my lever is toast, I think it's cuz someone replaced only 1 tie rod and my steering wheel is always at a 45* never level, so I usually end up holding it to signal, I'm redoing all my ball joints and both tie Rods to hopefully fix this then I'll put the new signal arm on, thank you for all the help

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Old ones out, new wire got stuck half way and the rope I was using broke, how to I get the new one down there? It's just for the cruise correct?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, the wire is just for the cruise. You were using rope?! That's why I said use mechanic's wire to fish it through and to take your time. :gr_grin:

Richard

98_k1500

Reaction score
If i recall correctly, i fished mine down thru there by itself. Just kept jiggling it down thru it until i could pull it thru. Mine was on the s10 tho so it may be slightly different. Coat hanger maybe?