Shocks for Ride Comfort, suggestion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience, or suggestions, on which shocks I should go with for ride comfort? My Burb is cranked level with 2" blocks, and a 3" BL is going on soon. I'm looking to make the ride as comfortable as possible (It's a family hauler, more than an off-road truck). I don't want the suspension to be so soft that when I do go off-road I'm bouncin around everywhere, but 'floating' while on pavement would be nice.

Thanks for any input.

EDIT: After reading my own post, it looks like I want both, which in reality its more one or the other.

What I don't want: Jolting, Jerking, Harshness while on pavement
What I do want: Enough firmness to go off-road and have some control.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If you have blocks in the rear and have the front cranked up, I would suggest measuring the length of the shocks as installed currently, then disconnect them and let the suspension droop, measure up the extended length. Some generic shocks might be a bit short on the travel.

For my brother's K3500 ( previous owner had stock shocks with rear blocks ), we went with a Rancho RS5000 RS5227, as it had the best combination of compressed and extended length, as compared to the measurements.

On Rockauto's catalog, you can see the lengths under 'info' like this:

Compressed Length Extended Length Travel
17.375 28.875 11.5