Shining under the hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I know taping off the letters will take some time--luckily I'm a painting contractor and at times do a lot of masking.

I was going to try and just polish off the remnant clear coating, using a foam wheel and chrome polish.
Man save your self the trouble and hassle, and go get some spray on paint stripper. Orilieys sales the air craft paint stripper I used. It works grate. Just like I said, tape everything off first. You dont want any of that stuff on your paint.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So here is my next project. These are 2 different bowties. I am going to pull of my under hood insulation and coat it with bed liner, then reinstall it, and put the bowtie in the center more or less. I put some rope LEDs on the smaller one tonight and it looked good. Im not sure, but was kind of thinking about outl both bowties with rope LEDs, and have them come on when you open the hood. Or I may just do the big one and leave the little one off. I think I can attach the bowtie with the same style black clips that hold the insulation. Glue the clips to the back of the bowtie with some contact cement where they wont show, and use the OE under hood light socket to actuate the LEDs. I can hide the wires under the insulation. The bowties are aluminum so they are not that heave, and I will polish them out first so they will look like chrome.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So here is my next project. These are 2 different bowties. I am going to pull of my under hood insulation and coat it with bed liner, then reinstall it, and put the bowtie in the center more or less. I put some rope LEDs on the smaller one tonight and it looked good. Im Iot sure, but was kind of thinking about outl both bowties with rope LEDs, and have them come on when you open the hood. Or I may just do the big one and leave the little one off. I think I can attach the bowtie with the same style black clips that hold the insulation. Glue the clips to the back of the bowtie with some contact cement where they wont show, and use the OE under hood light socket to actuate the LEDs. I can hide the wires under the insulation. The bowties are aluminum so they are not that heave, and I will polish them out first so they will look like chrome.

I have thought about getting the abs plastic one with emblem and insulation kit from LMC but they are mucho $$. And I have not heard of anyone that has used them. I don't know how they would be with warping with the heat. Anyway looking good Kenny hang there.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you do both, run colored LEDs around one to match your paint or accent color, I'd say accent the smaller one so it doesn't skew your lighting too much

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Grate idea, but my truck is white. I did think about back lighting the smaller one though. I am open for seggestions.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not really, but another thought I had is to paint the small bowtie black, and polish the big one. Black is my accent color.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buffed out the rims, and did a final buff out on the large bow tie, and painted the small one. I also installed the rivet nuts in the hood to bolt the bow ties to, after I sprayed bed liner under the hood, where the old insulation was. Oh and I shined the banner on the tailgate, and buffed the rims too. Now I need to wait for the paint to set up, on the black bow tie before I install the LEDs.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
a few more pics.

Last edited: