Sealed beam headlight swap wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had my grill off to repair my oil cooler lines and have decided to get a new one. I have a W/T grill on order as well as new sealed beam headlights, parking/turn lights, and reflectors. My current setup is the composite grill. I also have Baron's "mean green" headlight harness installed with the three relays (high/low/4hi). I know I will need to remove/disable the 4hi relay, but my question is on converting the plugs. Is it really as easy as connecting headlight/bright/ground to the H4 connectors?

My main question is how do I handle the grounds? I have one from the headlight, one from the brights....can I connect both of those to the ground pin in the H4 with no ill consequences?

Thanks

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I have been wondering, what would it hurt to run the 4hi on the sealed beams? just like a brake light bulb with 2 filaments in it. And yes, solder them together

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as running both filaments at the same time, I believe the heat would kill them pretty quick. If you remember all the bad reviews of the sylvania silver star bulbs from years ago and how they only lasted less than a year at best, the reason was because they ran at a higher wattage and the heat killed the bulb. I believe the same would hold true for headlights. A brake light/tail light is not on all the time like a headlight would be.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I think if i was doing it, i would leave the 4hi on it. Those sealed beam bulbs are cheap and if it blows them, all you have to do is pull the 4hi relay out of it.