screws for roof mounting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChRoNo16

Reaction score
how long of screws are safe to use for mounting something to the roof inside the cab?

I wants to mount my cb radio and all i have are 3/4" self tappers

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how long of screws are safe to use for mounting something to the roof inside the cab?

I wants to mount my cb radio and all i have are 3/4" self tappers
You should be ok. Depending on the thickness of what you are attaching.
When I had my headliner out a few years ago it seems like there was about 3/4" between the two layers.
But please don't take my fuzzy memory as 100% fact!!!
You can drill a small pilot hole first to double check the depth by drilling the first layer then measure how far it takes to touch the top one.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will be lucky if there is a half inch between layers, when I installed my roof console I did what @Drunkcanuk said and drilled a test hole and poked a piece of wire into it as a depth gauge.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think I'd be afraid of it falling, either due to vibration or a collision (deer, car, whatever). I'd rather have it down low. Unless maybe newer CBs are lighter than the old ones I've seen.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'd be afraid of it falling, either due to vibration or a collision (deer, car, whatever). I'd rather have it down low. Unless maybe newer CBs are lighter than the old ones I've seen.
I agree, also have to be sure there are no sharp edges in case of a rollover, as that area is always pushed down to meet your head.