School Me on LS Motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I have had 2, 6.2s both stock and both crappd out. I'll never have another!
What 6.2 though?

I've got an L9H getting rebuilt right now to go into my 2011 Suburban to replace the tired 5.3 in there now. That a VVT engine, no AFM, flew fuel(you should at least try and find a flex fuel motor so that you get the bigger injectors). It probably didn't need the rebuild, but it is unknown history and I wanted to be sure it was good to go for extended use. The truck it came out of had ~150k miles on it and the entire engine looked basically brand new when I pulled it apart. They are about 430hp stock and should be a fair bit more with just a cam/valvetrain upgrade. Its pretty much the same block as the LC9 aluminum 5.3 block that I've got in there now at 230k miles. I got the engine, wiring harness, ECU, and a bad 6l80e for $1500

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not at liberty to discuss the application yet, and the project is still very much in the bench racing phase. I do endurance racing, but this engine won't be for my usual venue.

The goal is an engine that can survive producing 650 HP all day long, and without requiring a rebuild after every event. For reliability we'd like to produce that much power under 6500 rpm. As much as I say "stock bottom end", I'm not opposed to beefier rods and lighter pistons if required, but stroking is out of the question and any boring will be a cleanup bore.

I just read up a bit on the shaft rocker setups, and having run a shaft rocker on my Cadillac, that's the route I'd want to go on this. Valvetrain stability will be the #2 requirement, after bottom end strength.

Are you going carb'd or aftermarket ECU?
Definitely FI, and likely an aftermarket ECU. It might be Megasquirt, or we might pop for a Terminator X. It'll depend on funding. There is a chance we might get someone who has the time and experience to play with a factory ECU, but that remains to be seen.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Definitely FI, and likely an aftermarket ECU. It might be Megasquirt, or we might pop for a Terminator X. It'll depend on funding. There is a chance we might get someone who has the time and experience to play with a factory ECU, but that remains to be seen.

I've got a tuner that can do it all whether it's factory ECU, or building the micro/megasquirt setups...he's in the Topeka, KS area.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our tuner will have to be on the team and available, and we're pretty picky about who's on the team. But again, this is very preliminary. I'm studying up and preparing a spreadsheet with engine build costs.

What's with the 1-bolt versus 3-bolt cam gear attachment? How much does that matter, other than making sure you have matching parts?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not at liberty to discuss the application yet, and the project is still very much in the bench racing phase. I do endurance racing, but this engine won't be for my usual venue.

The goal is an engine that can survive producing 650 HP all day long, and without requiring a rebuild after every event. For reliability we'd like to produce that much power under 6500 rpm. As much as I say "stock bottom end", I'm not opposed to beefier rods and lighter pistons if required, but stroking is out of the question and any boring will be a cleanup bore.

I just read up a bit on the shaft rocker setups, and having run a shaft rocker on my Cadillac, that's the route I'd want to go on this. Valvetrain stability will be the #2 requirement, after bottom end strength.

I don't think you can get to 650 HP under 6500 rpm on a shoestring budget. You don't need shaft rockers for under 6500 but I always do the trunion upgrade whenever I install a cam.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I have had 2, 6.2s both stock and both crappd out. I'll never have another!
The 6.2s are the problematic child.
Last year i rebuilt about 40 of them that had low oil pressure.
I kept the bearing clearance between .002-.0025 on mains and .0015-.002 on rods along with Durabond cam bearings that are less than .004" clearance to the cam. Run a 10355 oil pump with Delo/Rotella 5w40 and havent had one fail yet. So if it were me, i would only get a 6.2 if it was cheap and used ready for a rebuild before putting it in a vehicle.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2008 If I remember right.
The first was cam bearings at 90k
The second was rebuilt with under 5k
Loosing oil pressure. It was not the O ring at the pump. I assume cam bearings and developed piston slap when cold.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Our tuner will have to be on the team and available, and we're pretty picky about who's on the team. But again, this is very preliminary. I'm studying up and preparing a spreadsheet with engine build costs.

What's with the 1-bolt versus 3-bolt cam gear attachment? How much does that matter, other than making sure you have matching parts?
Majority of aftermarket cam shafts are 3 bolt.
It doesnt really matter but if you get a aftermarket cam with 3 bolt then you will need the correct sprocket.

4x cam sprocket

1x Cam sprocket