School Me on LS Motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2500s don't sell for less than $2k around here, even wrecked. All the intact 6.0s I've been seeing lately are in the $1200-1500 range. I saw an '01 K2500 van the other day in an auction, and it went for over $2500. Ugh.
01 van would have been a 4.3L, 5.7L or 6.5L.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doh! I looked at an '01 truck and an '05 van. I did verify it was an LQ4 by the vin.

j 1985 chevy

Reaction score
I have near zero experience on LS motors, but I may be getting involved in a project where we will need to build a "serious" horsepower naturally-aspirated LS on a strict budget. The engine will almost certainly not be using a factory ECM.

What do I need to know about the differences in generations? What differences are there in the blocks? What's the best non-forum website for an LS newb to study? What's the best forum for LS engine builds?
I would go with holley terminator x or max thay see to be the moste reliable for the money and if you are going to swap the rods and crank and piston I would chick out sumit it depends on how much hp but I would replace the rods and pistons and gape the rings for boost if you decide to go that way later if you're going to use a th 400 or 350 get a 4l80e ls flix plat for the best bang for your buck for na 6.0

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have near zero experience on LS motors, but I may be getting involved in a project where we will need to build a "serious" horsepower naturally-aspirated LS on a strict budget. The engine will almost certainly not be using a factory ECM.

What do I need to know about the differences in generations? What differences are there in the blocks? What's the best non-forum website for an LS newb to study? What's the best forum for LS engine builds?

ETA,

While doing a little research on the whole black box > 0411 swap for my L29**
I happened across a book entitled "How to Use & Upgrade to Gen III LS-Series
Powertrain Control Systems". I know that you stated that you won't be using a
factory ECM, but even so (assuming that you are staying EFI) you will need the
sensors. And this book seems to have the best sensor photos & descriptions I've
found anywhere. (See attached.) And here's a (LINK) for an extract from this book.

Thought you might be interested as part of your LS studies.

Just sharing the wealth from a recent dive down a performance upgrade rabbit hole.

Cheers --

**more specifically, why not upgrade from the L29's plastic-housing Vortec distributor
to the (8) coil near plug setup on the same-year medium duty 454 (L21) version?

Attachments

• L29 stock 4x CKP reluctor.jpg
    L29 stock 4x CKP reluctor.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 7
  • L21 stock 24x CKP reluctor.jpg
    L21 stock 24x CKP reluctor.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 7

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found that site yesterday and was reading up on how much you can bore the blocks. Right now all the 6.0s I'm finding on FB Marketface are $1500+. I briefly considered boring and stroking a 5.3, but that ends up costing about $2000. Ugh. It doesn't help that I'm low on cash after two serious car repairs in the last couple weeks.

Copart dorked up my account a couple months back, and when I tried to get it fixed they ignored me, so if I want to buy a wrecked 3/4 ton, IAAI is my only choice. Fortunately time is on my side, so I'm going to take my time and find a good deal.

My ideal goal is to find two LQ4/4L80 trucks, because we'll be building a spare drivetrain. I'm in favor of the LQ4s because they don't require a spacer to bolt to the 4L80, but I know I'll need to change the reluctor wheels.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ETA,

While doing a little research on the whole black box > 0411 swap for my L29**
I happened across a book entitled "How to Use & Upgrade to Gen III LS-Series
Powertrain Control Systems". I know that you stated that you won't be using a
factory ECM, but even so (assuming that you are staying EFI) you will need the
sensors. And this book seems to have the best sensor photos & descriptions I've
found anywhere. (See attached.) And here's a (LINK) for an extract from this book.

Thought you might be interested as part of your LS studies.

Just sharing the wealth from a recent dive down a performance upgrade rabbit hole.

Cheers --

**more specifically, why not upgrade from the L29's plastic-housing Vortec distributor
to the (8) coil near plug setup on the same-year medium duty 454 (L21) version?

You can't get the L21 reluctor anymore. It's unobtanium unless you can find someone that has new old stock or a used reluctor. Also, when you switch to the CNP, you have to keep the old vortec distributor as the cam sensor, you just put a solid cap on it instead of the vortec cap. I did this to my L29 that is going into my 1980 K25 pickup truck using the eficonnection 24x reluctor wheel. Since it is a single wheel it uses the stock 4x L29 crank sensor also.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those are LS reluctors and won't fit on an L29. Be aware that those are two different styles of 58x reluctors and they use different sensors to match the style. This is similar to the difference between the single row EFI connection 24x reluctor using the factory 4x crank sensor and the L21 double row 24x reluctor needing to use a different crank sensor.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good to know, thanks! Stuff like this is why I started this thread.

So I really need to be looking for an LY6 or L96? Is 58x versus 24x really an issue for tuning?

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's good to know, thanks! Stuff like this is why I started this thread.

So I really need to be looking for an LY6 or L96? Is 58x versus 24x really an issue for tuning?
Not for tuning, but it will matter for the ECU you are using. Gen IV is going to be 58x crank reluctor and 4x cam. Gen III can be either. I think both the LY6 and L92 will be 58x from the factory.