School me on exhausts/mufflers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpow

Reaction score
Im learning as i go here, and trying to do most upgrades myself so i have some questions about the exhaust. Now the exhaust comes off the engine, through the catalictic converter, through the muffler, and out the tail pipe correct? I see these flowmaster mufflers at o reilys, so how do i go about installing them on my 1998 z71? Is it as easy as cutting the old muffler off, then putting the new one on, whether it be welding or whatever else? The exhaust come from the cat into the muffler in two separate pipes, so do i need a Y piece to connect to the new muffler? Any advice will help. Im looking for a deep rumble, so if you have any advice let me know. Thanks!

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
get a dual in/ dual or single out (whichever you prefer). Cut off the old muffler and clamp or weld the new muffler. Flowmaster 40's have a deep rumble but apparently have a ton of interior drone. I like the Spintech 6000 now. You will probably have to order a muffler online because I've only seen single in/ single out. at autozone. Make sure you get the correct inlet size or you will need an adapter pipe.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Can't really tell but it appears you have a 96+ vortec. If that's the case everything you described is true so far as how the exhaust is run. Its a dual in/single out system. And yes, you cut the old muffler off and either weld it or use clamps (I would weld it). If you stick with the same type muffler you currently have (DI/SO) its plug and play. If you want dual out you'll have to get an exhaust shop to run the other pipe out of rear of muffler to the place of your choosing.

I would go on YouTube and listen to clips of different mufflers on 350 vortecs with varying setups and see what you like.

Sent from my Taliban Killing Droid