S.B.C. Carburated to TBI.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92C1500

Reaction score
I have a question regarding Carb to TBI conversions. I initially, and still woud like to do an LS Swap into my 92 C1500. However, moneys tight. Until I can save enough money to get an LS swap together I wanted to do something to put a little more power into the truck. Right now it's the 350 TBI with 5 speed. It's just not fast to me anymore, and to be honest I'm getting a little tired of the standard. Just not quite like my cars transmission. Considering moving to Auto again. Truck was originally Auto, was converted to an NV3500. I've recently been looking into a package that LKN (lake norman speed) created called their Econo mouse project. A 350 TBI block bored .60 over with Vortec heads, a cam , shorty headers, y pipe, 1.6 roller rockers, and the stock TBI with 454 injectors better fuel pump and a chip from TBIchips. They made really good #'s with this motor actually. Enough to add 100HP to the stock 350TBI's output. Now what I saw they did was use a Carburated intake on the heads that was just a dual plane model. Then put a TBI adapter on it. My question is, how easy is it to do that to any S.B.C.? Such as a 327 or 400? I've also seen on a different forum for 3rd Gen camaros where someone had taken a 305 TBI and swapped in a 350 Vortec and did the same thing with the carburated intake and adapter. But used Police model Caprice computer and injectors. I'm thinking of going 350 Vortec, with my TBI with the TBI mods. Headers, Ypipe, 3" Single Exhaust, with the 700R4/4L60. Then doing the S10Verter, a shift kit, and the vette servo. Main reason for doing the auto, is I picked up a 1990 454 SS rear end with 3.73 gears. I really don't want to take it apart to put 3.08 or 3.42 gears in it (if they even offer them that low for that rear end). Plus, I just seem to break stuff left and right with the 5 speed. I'm a little rough on it sometimes haha. Any ideas or suggestions? Really would like to know about the Carb to TBI conversion. If it's possible with any S.B.C. easily.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
I think in order to get what you want out of the swap, you'll have as much into it as a budget 5.3 swap. I'm targeting a 1500 budget for my LS swap, plus a cam and stall... Likely picking up a complete engine with a cracked head for $200 this week, so if you're patient and shop around I say go strait for the LS.

92C1500

Reaction score
If I could find a sweet deal on a 5.3/4l60e combo or a 6.0/4l80e combo I'd be on it. Pick up some Shoenfeld Conversion headers and some mounts and send out my E.C.U. Just haven't found anything yet. Hoping to come across someone locally who doesn't quite know what they have haha.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
that is what I was implying the ECU part is way easy, just pick yur poison and Git-R-Done. not everybody is a SB nut case like me, but if I can get an LT to work in these trucks anything is possible.