RWAL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PossumJr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it worth taking it off? My truck is an 89 so I'm assuming its the worthless version.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
everyone with pre-95 says it is. i did the abs delete yesterday, but can't drive it until i get a rear brake line replaced tomorrow. i can give you my personal opinion tomorrow after 5pm.

PossumJr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking around I see no reason to keep it on so I'll do this at some point, ABS on rear drums make no sense to me but whatever. Would there be any real big saftey issues though?

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
The idea is; the bed is so much lighter that the rears would lockup before the front. On older trucks back in the day we would thro in a couple o bags of concrete to even the weight distribution. But having said that. the newer prop valves/rear drum adj solve most of that. I've had mine off fer maybe a month with no problems. No rear lock ups.

PossumJr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figured that was the reason for it. And as long as I'm replacing the brake cylinders I might as well go and do this

1ugly88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did the same thing to my 88 about 5 years ago. made up a piece of line so i could remove the dump valve at the same time. never had a problem and brakes felt MUCH better after

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its worthless. When i had my old 88 and after i did this. I took it down an old back road and got it up to about 40mph and tried to lockup the rears but the front locked up first everytime