Brake code ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trying to ID the brake system on my '89 Cheyenne. The SPID shows a J code of J50. Can this be considered the JB5 system? It's the only J code on the SPID. The vacuum booster is the larger unit. There is no F44 code, so I'm assuming the truck is the light duty variety. Anyway's, I need to improve the braking, as they flat-out Suck !! With LS powertrain, the truck is more lively and responsive, but the braking is just NO match for the added power. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0741.JPG
    DSCN0741.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 13

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Found via search on the 'net:J50 : BRAKE SYSTEM, POWER
another:
J50BRAKE SYSTEM,VACUUM OR HYDRAULIC POWER(WITHOUT DUAL REAR WHEELS)

Last edited:

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son’s 89 has the J50 code and it has the JB3 brake system. The small discs in front and the 10” drums in the rear, also the small mc and booster.

Upgrading everything to JB6.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE??? Pickup? Suburban? Something else? C or K? 1500, 2500, or 3500?

JN3 is a strong possibility if this is a regular-cab 1500 pickup truck. JN5 if it's an extended-cab 1500 pickup.

Have you ever bled the RWAL unit? Should have a bleeder screw right on it.

If the rear brakes are the terrible 254mm Leading/Trailing shoe drums, they're almost certainly out of adjustment.

joshwoloshyn

Reaction score
My son’s 89 has the J50 code and it has the JB3 brake system. The small discs in front and the 10” drums in the rear, also the small mc and booster.

Upgrading everything to JB6.
What did you use to upgrade to JB6? I want to upgrade my 89 c1500 with the J50 code. I have a Ford 9" in the back and it has 11" brakes

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you use to upgrade to JB6? I want to upgrade my 89 c1500 with the J50 code. I have a Ford 9" in the back and it has 11" brakes
I went with a Powerstop kit up front, 14b axle with the 11.15” drums and all new ACDelco parts out back. And an 11” Tuffstuff booster with an ACDelco quick take up master cylinder.

You must be registered for see images attach