Rick's 1991 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Look for a '90's Impala sedan @ the wreckers. The 9C1's & the SS's came with Eaton LSD's.
They use a 30 spline axle. GMT400's came with 28 or 30 spline, so you'll have to check yours. Not a biggie though. Axles are cheap @ the wreckers. Other than that, the carrier is a bolt in, but you will have to set the gear's footprint pattern after the swap.
Don't bother looking at the wagons. They came with the Gov-Bomb.
Nice thing about the Eatons is that they are totally rebuildable & can be modified via the amount & thickness of the clutches. The springs come in more than a few different ranges in order to customize the performance, i.e. how 'tight' that you'd like the dif.
Eaton offers various clutch packs & springs as kits.
If you have the means, you could actually use the whole Impala rear end. Same 5X5 bolt pattern, but because the Impalas are a coil rear, all that would have to be ground off & the spring perches for the leafs would have to be welded on.
The bonus? Impala rear ends are 3" narrower! (1.5"/side.) And the ones previously mentioned come with rear disc brakes!!!

Look for this tag. Make sure that you install this. Prevents 'oops'!

You must be registered for see images attach

The guts. (Ignore the dog hair!)

Last edited:

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look for a '90's Impala sedan @ the wreckers. The 9C1's & the SS's came with Eaton LSD's.
They use a 30 spline axle. GMT400's came with 28 or 30 spline, so you'll have to check yours. Not a biggie though. Axles are cheap @ the wreckers. Other than that, the carrier is a bolt in, but you will have to set the gear's footprint pattern after the swap.
Don't bother looking at the wagons. They came with the Gov-Bomb.
Nice thing about the Eatons is that they are totally rebuildable & can be modified via the amount & thickness of the clutches. The springs come in more than a few different ranges in order to customize the performance, i.e. how 'tight' that you'd like the dif.
Eaton offers various clutch packs & springs as kits.
If you have the means, you could actually use the whole Impala rear end. Same 5X5 bolt pattern, but because the Impalas are a coil rear, all that would have to be ground off & the spring perches for the leafs would have to be welded on.
The bonus? Impala rear ends are 3" narrower! (1.5"/side.) And the ones previously mentioned come with rear disc brakes!!!

My wheels rub the inside tubs as it is so I would need spacers lol.

I looked into going the 10 bolt route but if I go turbo'd and then try to launch at the track I don't think it will hold. So I think the 9" is the best long term route to go.

"Well at 700 whp you are demanding a lot. If you were to hook well at the track and put that power to the ground you would be out doing what the housing and axles would be able to handle. At that horse power you really need to upgrade to an aftermarket 12 bolt or a 9”."

-email from Moser when I asked if I could just upgrade my 10 bolt

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Gotcha! Haven't read you're whole thread for a while!
Couldn't remember all the details of the original plan! I have a good memory, just not for very long! Lol!
Buddy & I built my 10b to handle somewhere around the 450-475HP zone. With an automatic.
Only thing I haven't done to it, & what it should really have, is a girdle
But even with 'only' 450HP, with a stick, I wouldn't ever consider the 10b.
The 9" is so much nicer to work on, too! Set everything up on the bench! Just thinking about any kinda work on a GM vehicle's rear dif. makes my back & my teeth hurt!

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 14 bolt is a bolt in. All you'd have to do is either re-drill the axles for 5 lug, or get new axles.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha! Haven't read you're whole thread for a while!
Couldn't remember all the details of the original plan! I have a good memory, just not for very long! Lol!
Buddy & I built my 10b to handle somewhere around the 450-475HP zone. With an automatic.
Only thing I haven't done to it, & what it should really have, is a girdle
But even with 'only' 450HP, with a stick, I wouldn't ever consider the 10b.
The 9" is so much nicer to work on, too! Set everything up on the bench! Just thinking about any kinda work on a GM vehicle's rear dif. makes my back & my teeth hurt!

Lol yes a lot has changed since you've read, ya I believe a 9" will be a good long term investment. I was working on my stomach most of the time hah, it sucked!

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 14 bolt is a bolt in. All you'd have to do is either re-drill the axles for 5 lug, or get new axles.

Ya I thought of a 14 bolt for awhile but at the end of the day I think the 9" is the best decision. I hear nothing but good about them.

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya I thought of a 14 bolt for awhile but at the end of the day I think the 9" is the best decision. I hear nothing but good about them.

A 9" hands down! Besides the other facts already stated, its lighter than the sf 14 bolt, the center would take up less real-estate under the bed, no c-clips, with chevy ends (taking that your going the moser route), you could stuff C5/C6 brakes on them for cheap, The list goes on and on.

Last edited:

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 9" hands down! Besides the other facts already stated, its lighter than the sf 14 bolt, the center would take up less real-estate under the bed, no c-clips, with chevy ends (taking that your going the moser route), you could stuff C5/C6 brakes on them for cheap, The list goes on and on.

I like those facts hah, everyone I know recommend I go 9" and I would never look back. So I'm going to look at a 1976 F150 rearend tonight.