Reviving A Stock Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I sure hope so. I dont mind soldering wires but I'd rather it be plug and play haha

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my led experience. You will need resistors with those leds unless the circuit in the radio is on a resistor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I don't think it is. Great, this is a lot more complicated than I thought it'd be.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I didn't research this enough I guess. I thought it would just be soldering bulbs in

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Okay so my fumbass didn't think about this before I ordered LEDs. So I'll return the ones I bought and buy ones with resistors built in.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Curious as to how much money is involved after its all said and done. I bought a reconditioned OEM CD player for my Silverado for $175 off of eBay. I haven't had any issues with it and it came with the auxiliary output attached too.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Curious as to how much money is involved after its all said and done. I bought a reconditioned OEM CD player for my Silverado for $175 off of eBay. I haven't had any issues with it and it came with the auxiliary output attached too.

Auxiliary output for running to an amp? Or auxiliary input for plugging in an mp3 player or whatever? Has it been changed over to LEDs?

Okay so my fumbass didn't think about this before I ordered LEDs. So I'll return the ones I bought and buy ones with resistors built in.

Did you figure out what you need? These are T1 or 3mm bulbs if that helps.

I replaced the bulbs in my radio because they weren't working and it turns out all but two were burned out and one of them had a bad solder and was intermittent. I just went with incandescents at the time because I wasn't sure if they were just burned out or what the deal was and I didn't want to muddy the waters making multiple changes at once. I used 7219 bulbs which are actually a little hot in my opinion. If I was going incandescent again, I'd go with a lower wattage(I'm not sure how bright they're supposed to be, but these bulbs are plenty bright enough that one could go a little lower without them being too dim). I read and found multiple sources using them, so I went with them, but the internet being what it is, who knows if they're really the right bulb or not. The buttons are right on the edge of too hot to touch comfortably.

Now that I know the bulbs were just burned out, I might go back and swap them for white LEDs, but I know want to change to an aftermarket stereo, so I sort of don't want to put the effort into doing it.

Getting the solder clear from the holes is probably the worst of the job. Lots of little dainty ****. As I recall, you should be able to tell by the traces pretty easily which side is ground. If you can't figure it out, post a picture of your board when you get in that far.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
So far $30 for bulbs and I need to go pick up a new soldering iron. The one I have is really crappy and not good for this project
Auxiliary output for running to an amp? Or auxiliary input for plugging in an mp3 player or whatever? Has it been changed over to LEDs?

Did you figure out what you need? These are T1 or 3mm bulbs if that helps.

I replaced the bulbs in my radio because they weren't working and it turns out all but two were burned out and one of them had a bad solder and was intermittent. I just went with incandescents at the time because I wasn't sure if they were just burned out or what the deal was and I didn't want to muddy the waters making multiple changes at once. I used 7219 bulbs which are actually a little hot in my opinion. If I was going incandescent again, I'd go with a lower wattage(I'm not sure how bright they're supposed to be, but these bulbs are plenty bright enough that one could go a little lower without them being too dim). I read and found multiple sources using them, so I went with them, but the internet being what it is, who knows if they're really the right bulb or not. The buttons are right on the edge of too hot to touch comfortably.

Now that I know the bulbs were just burned out, I might go back and swap them for white LEDs, but I know want to change to an aftermarket stereo, so I sort of don't want to put the effort into doing it.

Getting the solder clear from the holes is probably the worst of the job. Lots of little dainty ****. As I recall, you should be able to tell by the traces pretty easily which side is ground. If you can't figure it out, post a picture of your board when you get in that far.
I ordered 3mm bulbs with built in resistors from LC LED Corp (I bought their sample of 15 bulbs for $30 shipped. I actually got it figured out as far as positive and negative :waytogo: we'll see. I'll make an actual thread with pictures and everything once the LEDs come in and I can actually find time to work on it. I'm worried about ruining the board when I start soldering but I'll just hope for the best haha