Replacing Rear Brake Lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey new member here. Already searched the forum but cant find anything for K1500 burb specifically or what im asking. I have a 99 4x4 Burb and i bought it with the rear lines rusting. Still stops long as i keep fluid in it, its leaking from the main line running to the rear due to being rusted and one spot at the top of the left brake drum where the line bends to go into he drum. Trying to see if i can use AutoZone universal lines, i know i need 3/16 for the axle split and 1/4 for the main. Should i get the ones preflared or just the long reel and flare them myself or have my mechanic do it? I thought of doing steel epoxy as a VERY temporary fix over the rusted parts but decided id rather just keep adding fluid until its change time. Also if there are any guides or anyone in Atlanta who knows someone who can do it cheap thatll be great. Already had the lines inspected by my mechanic in savannah but ill need it done in Atlanta. TIA. Image shows the main line leak, its the very top line (wet spot on frme)

If you continue driving it leaking you will set the proportioning valve sooner rather then later. The good news is the leak will stop. The bad news is your rear brakes won't be working. I'll never understand continuing driving around with a safety issue. When brake or steering/suspension components fail you just don't pull over. The stop is usually violent. Brake lines carry in excess of 1200 psi. epoxy is not going to fix this.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for long stops, I replaced the rear brake hose on my truck with a braided stainless hose and Wow what difference! Cant wait to do the fronts.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've had a few lines fail and I was sick of popping them. I bought a set of lines from SS tubes and inline tube as well since I was deleting the non functional ABS (whole nother thread).

Basically I just ordered a complete set of pre bent stainless lines. No fiddling around, remove and replace. Well worth the cost. Also ordered braided stainless Russell flex hoses to replace the old original rubber ones. Much better braking all around.

Sent from my flagged XT1635-01

Tyler/T-Unit

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was just looking at the dorman page and they list a number of stainless brake tube kits for C/K1500s but nothing listed for 2500. Does anyone know if these kits will work on a 1998 K2500? If not, Suggestion where to purchase a 2500 kit? (C6P) 8 lug
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-90972-919-223.aspx?year=1998&make=Chevrolet&model=K1500%20Suburban&parttype=Brake%20Hydraulic%20Line%20Kit&origin=YMM

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Same issue here. That kit doesn't seem to fit a 2500 by there specs. I even tried the GM dealer, but it's no longer available. I was able to get the fuel line from the tank to the engine since mine would not come apart at the filter. Mine is a extra cab, long bed 2wd 2500..