Replacing hydraulic lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
On mine, it was a trunion failure, & just that one lifter. It was noisy on start up, then the sound would fade as the engine got warmer, but never really went away.
The truck had also sat for a number of years before I bought it, although the P.O. started it once a week, drove it around the underground parking lot where he had kept it once a month & had had the oil changed every 6 months (@ the dealership!) while it sat, even with that minimum mileage. It only had 108,000 km's when I bought it in 2011. About 67,000 miles. The lifter failed @ about 120,000 km's.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input. and I completely agree. I do run 5w30 conventional oil. I tend to always stick with the factory recommended for the reasons you mentioned above. I have been thinking of exploring the exhaust leak option as well... with the noise going away in a few minutes it makes it difficult to diagnose. any tips on diagnosing an exhaust leak like this? one that would go away... I'm assuming we are thinking that things are expanding as they heat up causing the leak to seal up?

Smoke machine is the fastest way to find a leak like that, as you can do it while everything is cold and it's easily visible. Barring that, close inspection with a mirror and good flashlight is your next best bet. In my experience, the difference between a lifter tick and exhaust leak is easily discernible by ear, but I also mechanic for a living, so training and experience play a role.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you will generally see a sooty residue or blackened spot at the site of an exhaust leak, so that's why you are looking for.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk