Replaced Dash - Need help with wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Replaced the dash in my 98. I put a 96 dash in but reused the harness from the 98. I have 2 plugs I can not find the opposite end for. Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

The first one is a small flat plug that is black. I thought it was for the cargo light but it’s definitely not.

The 2nd is a blue plug I believe was tied into the airbag bundle under the top part of dash driverside. I found the airbag plugs but can’t locate the opposite end for the blue plug.
You must be registered for see images attach

Any help is appreciated.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know about blue but black is definitely cargo light. The switch must have changed plugs in the newer model. Here's my 97.

Attachments

• 20230726_112255.jpg
    20230726_112255.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 4

blackrose

Reaction score
Replaced the dash in my 98. I put a 96 dash in but reused the harness from the 98. I have 2 plugs I can not find the opposite end for. Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

The first one is a small flat plug that is black. I thought it was for the cargo light but it’s definitely not.

The 2nd is a blue plug I believe was tied into the airbag bundle under the top part of dash driverside. I found the airbag plugs but can’t locate the opposite end for the blue plug.

Any help is appreciated.
Look on the passenger side behind the glove box usually on the body itself or it's the plug for your power steering assist located underneath the HVAC controls. The black one looks like either the HVAC controls or did you have an optional radio with like a cassette or something? But there is a place for it up behind the steering wheel under the dash at the very top of the firewall area there should be a module at that plugs into

blackrose

Reaction score
Where is the black plug located cuz there is a little electronic box above the gas pedal on the right side of those brackets. And the only two blue ones that I know of are one power steering assist under the HVAC controls. And the second one is on the passenger side behind a glove box that clips to the body itself easier to see with the airbag gone. And all airbag wiring is wrapped in yellow.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oops I thought the colors matched. Fog lights was on top I think.

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been awhile since I've been in there, but the black one looks like the rear defrost plug that goes into the HVAC controller on my Tahoe and Suburban to me. Do you have rear defrost?

I think the blue plugs in somewhere over by the HVAC box, passenger side.

No guarantees on accuracy.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d agree, the black one looks like the defrost plug to the a/c panel.

Edit - here’s a thread showing the panel connector:

That blue one comes up every now and again. I think the consensus was that it’s for trucks with auto-dim rearview mirror.

One of my 98s (with that mirror) had it connected. Another (without the mirror) did not. It was just wrapped in foam with the yellow airbag connectors near the windshield.

Here’s a thread where someone went into more detail:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’d agree, the black one looks like the defrost plug to the a/c panel.

Edit - here’s a thread showing the panel connector:

That blue one comes up every now and again. I think the consensus was that it’s for trucks with auto-dim rearview mirror.

One of my 98s (with that mirror) had it connected. Another (without the mirror) did not. It was just wrapped in foam with the yellow airbag connectors near the windshield.

Here’s a thread where someone went into more detail:

Thanks! Blue one hss me perplexed but I don’t have that mirror and that does make sense to not plug in.

Found where the black one goes. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Been awhile since I've been in there, but the black one looks like the rear defrost plug that goes into the HVAC controller on my Tahoe and Suburban to me. Do you have rear defrost?

I think the blue plugs in somewhere over by the HVAC box, passenger side.

No guarantees on accuracy.
There is a blue one on the pass side. I got it plugged in. This one was wrapped up with 2 airbag plugs under the upper part of the dash on the driver side.