replace clutch fan with Electric fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
Do you have a larger pic. I maxed out my zoom and still can't read it.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
I had a larger pic but I dont know what happened.

I attached a pic so if you click it then it will be larger.

Alldata wont let you right click and save the images. Ive tried in the past to "Print Screen" but it just made it even smaller.

Attachments

• 001aux.jpg
    001aux.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 74

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
Now do all trucks have this? Or is it an option?

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
to my undestnadin most ppl, remove them to take strain off the motor ,
tats why i did it,,and because clutches get stuck and run constantly and kill mpgs

new trucks dont come with efans even still. They have a bit of a hybrid between belt driven and electric. The best I can tell is because of the grill size. In a car, you dont tend to get large amounts of room for moisture and such to pass through. Our grills are massive by comparison. If you have an e-fan up here in the land of the ice and snow, and for some reason you get an ice build up you will burn up that little electric motor. A 350 wont care about a little bit of ice once its warmed up enough to engage the clutch.

The other possible reason for having a belt driven fan on a truck is the sheer work load. If an electric motor fails, the fan doest spin, you dont get cooling. It sucks in a car, but in a truck that possibly has a bed full of stuff and a trailer being dragged behind it, failure isnt an option. If you clutch fails, the motor spins the fan all the time still giving you ample cooling. Sure its a little added load, but it will get you home.

I weighed the options for weeks on this one. I finally decided based of my work load for the truck and environment in which I work it in, that a clutch was my best option. People are only getting one mile per gallon.... just one. Its not worth it to me. I can get the same gain from moving my mufflers further back, or being nicer on the gas pedal.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
new trucks dont come with efans even still. They have a bit of a hybrid between belt driven and electric. The best I can tell is because of the grill size. In a car, you dont tend to get large amounts of room for moisture and such to pass through. Our grills are massive by comparison. If you have an e-fan up here in the land of the ice and snow, and for some reason you get an ice build up you will burn up that little electric motor. A 350 wont care about a little bit of ice once its warmed up enough to engage the clutch.

The other possible reason for having a belt driven fan on a truck is the sheer work load. If an electric motor fails, the fan doest spin, you dont get cooling. It sucks in a car, but in a truck that possibly has a bed full of stuff and a trailer being dragged behind it, failure isnt an option. If you clutch fails, the motor spins the fan all the time still giving you ample cooling. Sure its a little added load, but it will get you home.

I weighed the options for weeks on this one. I finally decided based of my work load for the truck and environment in which I work it in, that a clutch was my best option. People are only getting one mile per gallon.... just one. Its not worth it to me. I can get the same gain from moving my mufflers further back, or being nicer on the gas pedal.

Hmm correct me if I am wrong but even with a properly working clutch fan it should be spinning all the time. Not at the same speed but it should still be spinning even if engine is still ice cold. My understanding is that they worked more like a torque converter and less like an actual clutch. My mechanic once explained it like this... They are full of a viscous fluid that will get thicker as it gets warmer. Thus as the engine gets warmer they will spin at closer to the actual speed of the engine (more like a direct drive) but at a colder temperature they will spin slower than the engine speed... But still spin regardless.

Now I fully understand that if you do quite a bit of constant work load stuff like long trips, towing, etc. you won't see much of an improvement since the fan will run constantly. But if the majority of trips are short and/or cold starts I think one would see a bigger MPG delta between an efan and the stock belt fan.

Quick question... Why would some ice build up burn up the efan? Static pressure or something? Or are you talking enough ice to actually hold the blades stationary? Either way I'd think with a proper thermostat control by the time the engine is warm enough to kick the fan on the ice should be long gone. No?

On one more side note why not do all of the above mentioned things to improve MPG and then get +3MPG? :)

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
moisture build up from winter driving then freezing while parked over time. Heck just last monday, the pita wife of mine packed her entire cars engine bay full of snow. I had to carry buckets of hot water back and fourth from the barn to melt the snow enough to get everything freed up. That was caused by hitting a snow drift. To be fair, my truck went through the same drift countless times and never even batted an eyelash so ground clearance was a MAJOR factor in this case. It does however illustrate my concerns.