Remote start question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a Viper 5706V alarm with remote start into my 1997 Chevy K1500 5.7. I can remote start just fine however it shuts down after 20 seconds because the alternator is not charging and the system thinks it is not running and shuts down. I hooked up the secondary ignition wire from alarm to the white ignition wire, the stereo comes on but I can still see that the alternator is not charging until I insert the key and turn on ignition. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the alt to work, it has to have power to excite the alt. You will need to figure out what wire excites the alt, then provide power to it and this will solve the issue. That being said, you will need to do this with a relay from the battery, with the switch wire coming from a power wire that comes on when the remote start is engaged.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Kennythewelder.
I have been trying to figure out which wire it is in the ignition harness, does the exciter wire just get 12v or do I need to provide a resistance load or a ground. I am looking up wiring diagrams now and will go test which wire comes on with key that is not powered with remote start. I have seen a bunch of posts with remote starts on these trucks and haven't seen anything referring to this.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the exciter wire just gets 12 volts, more or less. I could not tell what wire it is though. I found the info out when I was doing some research on building a way to charge a marine battery for aux power. Like say using this and not solar panels to do the same thing. This video should help you figure out what wire is what. If it was me, I would try putting the relay on the blue wire.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Or simply jump the blue wire, and see if the truck runs in remote start mode. If so, then that is where the relay needs to be. Remove the jumper wire, and install a relay.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found it, in my truck there is also a heavy gauge orange wire coming out of the ignition switch, add power to this wire and the alternator works. Thank you very much for the help kennythewelder.