cranks but wont start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hi54lofi

Reaction score
Hello all, previously my truck was starting to shut off randomly. This morning I woke up to go to work and it wont even start. It cranks but doesnt turn over.

The last thing I did was disconnect the battery terminals, and retighten them.

I am fairly certain it is an electric issue.

Thinger2 from here told me to check out the ring connectors on the battery. I think im going to shave down the red plastic on the terminal and ensure the connectors are connecting well and not erroded.

1997 k1500 suburban 5.7

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First off, so there is no further confusion, cranks and turn over are the same thing. You are experiencing a crank and no start, no fire off, condition. If the engine is spinning over, cranking, and is spinning fast enough, then you have no battery or cable problems. If need to, put a battery charger on it during the cranking process but bear in mind that repeated attempts will wear that starter out.

Basics first. Do you have spark? Do you have fuel? Fuel pressure? The previous random shut off and now no start, are likely related and could be the fuel system problem.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
First off, so there is no further confusion, cranks and turn over are the same thing. You are experiencing a crank and no start, no fire off, condition. If the engine is spinning over, cranking, and is spinning fast enough, then you have no battery or cable problems. If need to, put a battery charger on it during the cranking process but bear in mind that repeated attempts will wear that starter out.

Basics first. Do you have spark? Do you have fuel? Fuel pressure? The previous random shut off and now no start, are likely related and could be the fuel system problem.
Have you checked the Crank fuse? In the fuse block on the end of the dash, I believe it's a 10 amp.
Also, does this truck have an alarm on it? The recent cold weather may be making it act wonky. My crew cab has this problem, ever since the freeze. Battery, alternator, cables and starter are good, and it's a '97 so no passlock.

hi54lofi

Reaction score
I am in cold weather yes. Checked all fuses. I just noticed the fuel pump is not priming, I dont hear a thing when i turn the key. Luckily i suspected that a few days ago and ordered one. Im going to but a grinder tomorrow, so i can grind through the bed and replace it. I'll post back if it works out. Thanks all.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
To each his own but I personally am against the "hole in the bed fuel pump access" procedure.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time, I dropped the tank. No big deal.

Second time, I lifted the box. Had some stubborn bolts but overall, no big deal.
You must be registered for see images attach

Be sure to secure the chain around the lifting hook, and support the box sides with a brace of some sort--a 2X4 cut to length is fine.

Other folks loosen the bolts on the right side, remove the bolts on the left, and just tilt the bed rather than complete removal.

At least for my '88 K1500, it takes a pretty huge hole in the bed to get the pump out. No freakin' way am I carving a hole that large. Maybe a Vortec is different. I don't know...but I'll likely find out on my '97 K2500.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lifted my bed too, to install the c-notches, and with an engine hoist it wasn't too difficult. Mine's a step side so I had to add some eye bolts to the bed brace supports, on the sides to connect the lifting straps to. I also cut 4-each 12" long, 4X4 fence post pieces to put between the bed and frame and held them in place with lag bolts on the bottom, through the bed bolt holes in the frame, and a couple ratchet straps, for safety sake. There was plenty of room to access the fuel pump if needed.