Regearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I know this has been beat to death:beatdeadhorse5:, i also know what would be better, but being i'm on a budget and cant afford to regear would it be 'okay' to run 35x12.5s on my stock 3.73. trans was rebuilt 50k ago. or would i be better running 33x12.5's? the truck dosent get drove that often, mainly highway (98 ecsb Z71 4x4 mild 355 btw) i believe my trans was beefed up a lil when rebuilt too. so just lookin for some opinions, also would narrow 35's be better than wide 33's? i'm not worried about the speedo or anthing that way.:gunner::beatdeadhorse5::uhoh2:

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there are lots of guys running 35's on 3.42 or 3.73 gears. Its not the best gear choice, but it can be done and even bearable until you can get better gears

xtreme.97

Reaction score
i am running 37s on 3.73 right now. gas mileage sux and its a dog getting up to speed, but it can be done until gears are in the budget...

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran both 33's and 35's with the stock 3.73 gears and noticed much more loss with the 35's. My 33" DC mud terrains were heavier then my friends 35 BFG all terrains and I still noticed more losee with the taller tire. With the 35's over drive was hardly used and it only took a few months before I put the 4.56 in and much better performance and fuel mileage.
With your healthier 355 Vortec the power loss might not be as bad as my 350 TBI.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I ran both 33's and 35's with the stock 3.73 gears and noticed much more loss with the 35's. My 33" DC mud terrains were heavier then my friends 35 BFG all terrains and I still noticed more losee with the taller tire. With the 35's over drive was hardly used and it only took a few months before I put the 4.56 in and much better performance and fuel mileage.
With your healthier 355 Vortec the power loss might not be as bad as my 350 TBI.

thanks, i think i will stick with 33,s for now

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my vortec with 35s and 3.42s still gets up and passes like it nothing.

So did my TBI, it would still spin, rip and tear with ease. I find the lower gearing helped more of driving around 80-100km/h when the truck just shifts into OD. Before it would downshift of any hills and slight acceleraton. Stomp on it and it would still get up and go. It was very much driveable but was not for my taste so I regeared and wish I had even gone 4.88's but my truck is mostly used for hunting and running back roads now. Its like one of those things you get and have to look back to realize how much better it is now.

I have a Friend running 3.42 with a worn out 305 on 35" KM2's, drives it to work daily.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
funny you mention that... I was thinking about 4.88s incase I want to go bigger than my 315s. I agree gearing is a much better with than without, but im trying to show the level of really isnt that bad if you have to do it for a while.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
funny you mention that... I was thinking about 4.88s incase I want to go bigger than my 315s.

I wouldn't go any lower then 4.88 if thinking of going bigger. Prices are all the same for the ratios.

I agree gearing is a much better with than without, but im trying to show the level of really isnt that bad if you have to do it for a while.

Very true 35's are runable with the stock gears, ideal no, but will get the job done none the less. Given that the OP asked about 33's and narrow 35's I gave my experience that 33's drained less then even lighter 35's. Depending on what OP has for a lift would factor in on tire size to. Anything under 6" suspension I would stick to 33's, I'm just not a fan of cranking.
As for transmissions I've seen 2 trucks (one 3.73's, one 3.42's) loose transmissions after low miles on rebuilds with 35's. Another one with unknown miles that had ran 33" TSL's and then 35's. I had to rebuild my transmission a year and a half ago, it had been rebuilt about 3 years prior to that. Tire related failures or just another 700R4 I'm not sure. Of those 3 other trucks (minus mine) all have gernaded their 10 bolt rear ends.

Last edited:

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I wouldn't go any lower then 4.88 if thinking of going bigger. Prices are all the same for the ratios.

Very true 35's are runable with the stock gears, ideal no, but will get the job done none the less. Given that the OP asked about 33's and narrow 35's I gave my experience that 33's drained less then even lighter 35's. Depending on what OP has for a lift would factor in on tire size to. Anything under 6" suspension I would stick to 33's, I'm just not a fan of cranking.
As for transmissions I've seen 2 trucks (one 3.73's, one 3.42's) loose transmissions after low miles on rebuilds with 35's. Another one with unknown miles that had ran 33" TSL's and then 35's. I had to rebuild my transmission a year and a half ago, it had been rebuilt about 3 years prior to that. Tire related failures or just another 700R4 I'm not sure. Of those 3 other trucks (minus mine) all have gernaded their 10 bolt rear ends.

Well i think for now I will run wide 33's. i have a 3"bl to put in, cant afford suspesnsion. i'll keep my stock tires for now. till i can afford new rims and tires. from what i hear from you guys wide 33's will be fine. plus i'll probably end up with something 2" wider and about the same wight as me heavy ass toyos.