Regear 2wd???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will answer this 2 ways since I am a little confused as to what your asking:

1. If your carrier bearings are shot and the diff cover is leaking, there is still a significant difference in labor involved, to just replace the bearings, you will have to (and this is the readers digest version) drain diff, pull the shafts, pull the bearing caps, remove carrier, bearings from carrier and re-assemble with same shim pack.
If you are swapping gears, (again readers digest) you have to do that, plus address the pinion (bearing, slinger, setting depth, preload etc..) as well as determining the carrier shims to get the backlash and correct pattern, then re-assemble. Fixing a leaky diff cover is pretty easy and straight forward.
The bearings only should be about an 1 hour job, a seasoned mechanic and nail down gears in a fixxed diff in about 2.5-3 hours. begining to end.

2. Wheel bearings and a leaking axle seal, the only thing that occurs in both cases is pulling the shafts, other than that, completely different jobs.

aggieman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea sorry its the wheels bearing and a leaking seal but thanks alot that was helpful man