Refurbishing the front suspension.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nylanderz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Recently i've grown more and more tired of the front end suspension being worn out. I'm finding that it is way to track-sensitive going down the road, also it being too "unstable". I would like my truck to be laying "like a flat-iron" down the road. Where do i begin? What parts do typically wear out on these trucks? I will ofcourse do a weel alignment when i have the front end refurbished.

/Nylanderz

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I rebuilt the whole front end of my truck with Moog ball joints, pitman, Idler tie rods. Timken Wheel Bearings and Energy Suspension bushings, most parts were bought off of rock auto, they usually have 5% coupon flying around the web. I did it a year and half ago, its been a good time ever since.

Dethtats78

Reaction score
Did you do all the work with the exception of the alignment by yourself? If so what was the average cost to do it as I am looking at having to start replacing my front end as well?

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
yea I installed the parts.

I want to say I spent $400-450 in parts. and grease. I also bought Rotors Brake pads a new Center Link. You might not need to buy those parts, so it may be cheaper. I had a ball joint Fail and it bent all kinds of stuff and my rotors were 9 yrs old and warped.

if you go on rock auto and throw the whole front end in a cart, you'll know what you gotta pay.

Nylanderz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright! Seems like i got a few hints on what to start with. But what does 'Moog' mean? (Confused swede on the wrong side of the pond.)

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Moog is the brand. It's about the best aftermarket off the shelf suspension parts out there.

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if youve got over sized tires then even with the front end all new parts youll still be track sensitive steering on these trucks are just that way don't know if you can get it for non suspension lifted trucks but with all suspension lifts you can get a steering stabalizer shock that helps out a lot. cost me about 400 Canadian to do all 4 balljoints all 4 tie rods ider arm and idler arm bracket(2 different pieces on the 4x4s) idler arm and pitman arm aren't really needed to be done but doesn't hurt where as the idlerarm frame bracket should be done. don't know how available parts are in Sweden but if their scarce you can take a look on ebay or the above posted vendor for the parts.

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a helpful link (lots of great part numbers) but half the on their doenst need to be done like I said before on the pitman arm and idler arm there isn't anything to wear out so those are just parts that can be replaced but don't need to be. Tie rod adjusting sleeve if you wanna be cheap you can use the old ones not gonna make a difference. Center link is another part that doesn't get worn out and unless its bent doesn't need to be replaced. Youll be able to tell if the control arm bushings are garbage just look at them if their rotted replace em, my 94 has over 417xxxkms on it and they haven't been replaced there just like new on the other hand my buddies 93 with 300xxxkms needed the lowers replaced. And caster camber bolt kit isn't needed unless your truck doesn't have them already (ive yet to see one without them) If you have the mechanical know how and the time to do all this work yourself ( not hard at all) then you can save your self tons of money. In the above posted thread link he got a shop to push the old control arm bushings out if you've got a drill you can save all that money by drilling a bunch of holes in the old bushing and knocking them out with a hammer. Hope weve helped you out a bit let us know how it goes. P.S. you probably know this but as a friendly reminder don't forget to get a wheel alignment after you replace the front end parts.

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
one last thing correct me if im wrong guys but aren't all the 4x4 lower balljoints bolt/riveted on? shouldn't need a press I use 3 jaw pullers to separate from spindle on mine my buddy uses the pitman arm puller tool. where as 2wd is press in and out!