Redoing the front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got a 97 ECSB Z71 with 182,000ish on it but the motor was rebuilt about 2000 miles ago. I am wanting to totally redo the front end but I have no experience with this. I see the hub replacement sticky so I can use that. But I want to go through and put all new urethaine bushing in, new bearings etc... Has anyone done this and if so, is there any parts you can think of that I will need besides what I already typed. I am going to do some extensive searching on here to see if I can find a build thread similar to what I am wanting to do.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, one other thing. I was planning on a six inch lift in 2014. Should I wait to redo the front end since I will probably be taking that all apart anyway?

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, one other thing. I was planning on a six inch lift in 2014. Should I wait to redo the front end since I will probably be taking that all apart anyway?
yes. and to note if you do a suspension lift you will run through front end parts like wild fire even if you dont off road with it.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I will look into the lift and see about that first before spending to much on parts I am going to replace anyway.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes. and to note if you do a suspension lift you will run through front end parts like wild fire even if you dont off road with it.

No he won't if he doesn't crank it past what the lift is designed for.

If nothing in your front end is currently worn out, wait until you do the lift to rebuild it. No sense in doing the same work twice. You'll need to plan an extra day during the lift install for redoing it all. The entire front end comes out for the lift so that's a good time to replace it all. You can check the rcx tips thread linked in my sig an my build thread for pictures during the install....