Rebuilt 350 TBI knock at low idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally don't like Lucas Mucus. The SAE studies I've seen show them to be junk. I run 5w-40 in my truck, Valvoline SynPower (Full synthetic, they've now changed the name) with Purolator Boss Filters. 4,000 miles with the "new" motor (144k miles now) and it used ~1/2 quart. That oil change saw me run a can of Restore in it. This oil change I didn't add any of that, we'll see if it's necessary. Truck seems to like the 40 wt. I'm no engine builder so my remedies tend to be habit changes or off the shelf. Try a can of Restore & see what happens.
Any knocks with the 5w-40? Might be worth a try, to see if the oil pressure really is dropping off when hot. If that solves that, probably be looking at main bearings, eh?

Sent from my LG-H820PR using Tapatalk

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do not think thicker oil or mystery goop is your answer. If there wasn't a mechanical issue it wouldn't be making racket with 5-30. Are you sure it's not some bracket or doohickey making a nuisance noise at idle? Sounds silly, had that problem before, usually on motorcycles though

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What halfton said, why I mentioned other things could be causing that noise, I'd even expect lower oil pressure with loose tolerances..

Is it burning oil?
Not sure if there are any knock offs regarding the oil but if you don't want to commit to full synthetic right off the bat you could try whatever brand is on sale. Although when hot the viscosity between the knock off & synthetic is most likely different. I made the switch to synthetic years ago when I saw that 10w-40 synthetic Valvoline was flowing better than 10w-40 dino Valvoline at the same temperature. So despite what the can says they are not the same.

I suppose it's possible thicker bearings might solve the issue if that's what it is. Again, I'm not an engine builder, but a speculator & arm chair quarterback haha.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to post a video tonight and see what you think

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Here's a video