Rebuilding my L31, need some opinions on mild upgrades.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Constantine

Reaction score
I have a '98 Yukon with an unmodified 5.7 Vortec that I'm either going to have rebuilt or replace with a crate engine (not sure which yet).
I like the idea of retaining my engine since it really just needs freshening up, mainly due to oil consumption.
It has 240, *** miles on it, also has the cold engine knock (always has though).
I started a thread in general maintenence which turned into more of a high performance discussion so I'll try to continue that portion of it here.

I need opinions of the accell complete ignition kit (with dizzy)
Is it a decent distributor and coil to go with vs. MSD?
Price wise, I might have to spend $40 more to run msd.
here is the accell kit.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/acc-vt2/overview/year/1997/make/gmc/model/yukon

And need a little help with long tube header choice.
All I can find for a 4wd is the pacesetter long tubes.
Does the l31 have "angle valve heads"?
Also does it have the AIR system?
Here is the set I have my eye set on:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/PAC72C2262.htm

I'm also going to upgrade the injectors to the Delphi fj10566 mpfi system.

I'm not a very wealthy person so, What I'm looking to do is knock a few things off of my list performance wise, and make smaller steps until it's complete, if I wasn't replacing the engine I could do just about all of it at once but unfortunately I can't at this time.

lt4 cam & 1.6 rollers Will come in the future as well as a performance tune.
I plan to have an extra set of heads rebuilt, and have a little work done to them when I get ready for the cam and rocker upgrade.

Last edited:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
You say the LT4 cam is in the future? I'd have to do that when doing the rebuild. No way I'd hold off on that if it's what I had in mind for later. No extra work to do that when doing the rebuild.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never used them personally, but just FYI I've heard some horror stories about Accel ignition products. I'd stick to factory Delco if I were you. Your truck should not have the AIR system unless it was originally sold in California, that's a CA specific emission control system.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
You will need a tune with a cam change, but honestly a good tune is the first performance change you should make.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Carry over from your other thread.

I've updated my supporting products to purchase.

2 engine oil cooler lines. Stick to GM or make some using fittings to replace the quick connects. The dorman ones SUCK.

3 water pump and thermostat. Always with a fresh engine. I always buy the delco thermostat.

5 felpro intake gasket set, felpro manifold bolt set & plenum gasket set. No need to replace the intake bolts. Use the good fel pro MS98000T comes to mind, it comes with all gaskets for about $60.

6) accell ignition kit with distributor. Junk, Junk, Junk. None of the after market crap holds up well. If you want to upgrade the dizzy look at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Di...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4613d3f64c&vxp=mtr

For headers look at hooker long tubes for a tbi application and have an exhaust shop weld the bung on for the EGR tube. They are a direct fit to a 4wd chassis. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-2462hkr/overview/year/1993/make/chevrolet/model/k1500

You do not have angle plug heads. You need to look and see if your manifolds had more than just the EGR tube. If it does then you have A.I.R.

I would do the cam over the MPFI injection because of cost and labor of ripping the engine down now vs later. The MPFI is an easy upper plenum pull. Keep your eyes on ls1tech in the parts section. I saw a LT4 hot cam kit go for $500 shipped a couple of days ago. It is gone now.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/marketplace/parts/search/

Do the tune one way or another! Most companies have free retunes for when you upgrade.

Constantine

Reaction score
Alright guys I appreciate ya'lls input.
Ya'll have been very knowledgeable and helpful.

I'm going to take some time to call around and talk to the engine builder.
There is also one shop local that has a good reputation for hi performance engine mods/machine work.
And I have found a place called Mad tunes racing that does computer tuning.
(I live in North Louisiana.)

I'll call them and see what I can come up with as far as pricing.

I've read some around this forum about the LT4 cam.
I see that I will need to have threaded rocker arm studs.
I also have read mentions of having the valve guide cut some to allow clearance of the 1.6 rockers?
Is there anything else needed?

I'm a green onion on performance watercooled/domestic engines.
I've spent years researching air cooled Volkswagen performance and unfortunately I have to ship all my engine parts to have machine work done so I don't have any consumer relations with more local shops.

Also I don't have to worry about having them tuned so I haven't a clue of cost for performance tuning.

I do feel like the ideal thing to do would be to find a spare engine and have it rebuilt/built.
I could also assemble the short block then measure all the valve rain clearances and it wouldn't matter if I have to pull the heads and have some extra work done for clearancing and etc.
Then once I get ready for the install into my daily driver, If I don't experience complications, I'd only have down time for the computer tune and exhaust work.

Last edited:

Constantine

Reaction score
Would you happen to know about how many miles you've put on your truck since you've been running the accel kit?
And did you use the kit with the distributor.