Rebuild front end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So start out with, I had to get some new tires in early June because all mine had dry rotted. I took them to get them aligned and they told me I had a worn ball joint. Go to another shop to get it aligned, don't tell em about the worn ball joint. They align it with no problems. I guess the other shop was wrong, idk, anyways plan on putting a 4" suspension lift on in the next few months and was thinking about doing brakes and also rebuilding front end. Now the truck only has about 123xxx miles on it so would anything even really be worn? Would I even need to redo it or should I do it while I'm down there and putting the lift on? And if I should just go with the lift, could I go to shop and see how long things will last or what shape the front end is in or do they even do that? Thanks in advance!

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
. Now the truck only has about 123xxx miles on it so would anything even really be worn? Would I even need to redo it or should I do it while I'm down there and putting the lift on? And if I should just go with the lift, could I go to shop and see how long things will last or what shape the front end is in or do they even do that? Thanks in advance!

Yes, definitely. You should do everything when you do the lift. I know it's extra money that wasn't planned to be spent but it's worth it to do it now.

Sent from my bored/stroked iPhone 6S

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're going to run large off road tires after lifting, then for sure rebuild the front. The expense will pay for itself in saved tires.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also keep in mind the replacement parts should have grease fittings and if maintained will last longer. I have seen many worn out front end parts with a lot less miles.

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All right, thanks guys, any special type of grease y'all use or pretty much any work?

Chevy529

Reaction score
Just don't use a multi purpose grease. I don't know the grease specs in the USA but here in Canada they are allowed up to 2% by VOLUME of foreign matter. That could be anything from dirt to metal shavings. An extreme pressure grease isn't allowed to have that... here anyways.
Just a thought.

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, now just to go through a list to make sure I'm not missing anything, let me know if I need or should add anything to it.

Idler arm w/bracket assembly
Pitman arm
Center link
Stabilizer bar link w/bushing kit
Tie rods
Ball joints
Lower control arm bushings
Upper control arms
Tie rod adjusting sleeve

I feel like we have too many of these on the page. I've read through em but now it's a different time, different people, different answers

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could just do the bushings if you have a press. If not your gonna pay a bit extra to make the job easier on yourself.