Rear ended, bent frame and hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Let them total it and then buy it back straighten the frame and put the rest of the money in the bank

scoob8000

Reaction score
Well while I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance adjuster I took it to my usual body shop to get a estimate just for my own piece of mind.

He said the older Chevy frames are not that bad to straighten since they're C channel instead of boxed. He'll write it up and let me know tomorrow.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
well if he gives you a good price you dont have to use the insurance body shop, you can go to the one you want....

sometimes if its close to being totaled, they will just total it out, Ive had that happen to me before, had to verbally strong arm them to fix it!

scoob8000

Reaction score
well if he gives you a good price you dont have to use the insurance body shop, you can go to the one you want....

sometimes if its close to being totaled, they will just total it out, Ive had that happen to me before, had to verbally strong arm them to fix it!

Well I got my estimate back last night. It's a lot, but still not as much as I thought it was. It came back $2,100. I asked about at what percentage they usually call it a loss. He said there's nothing to worry about until you get close to 80% depending on the insurance company. And even then, if a vehicle is in good shape or the owner has a lot into it they'll write it up that way. ie, take the work I put in it into consideration and push the company to repair it.

Close to $1000 of that was for oem parts, $534 for a GM bumper assembly and $380 for a GM weight dist hitch.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well I got my estimate back last night. It's a lot, but still not as much as I thought it was. It came back $2,100. I asked about at what percentage they usually call it a loss. He said there's nothing to worry about until you get close to 80% depending on the insurance company. And even then, if a vehicle is in good shape or the owner has a lot into it they'll write it up that way. ie, take the work I put in it into consideration and push the company to repair it.

Close to $1000 of that was for oem parts, $534 for a GM bumper assembly and $380 for a GM weight dist hitch.

Id just have um straighten the frame then get your own used parts thats insane

ChevyDave

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do all the work yourself... If they total it. You can buy it back and fix it for probably less that 1000 dollars. Buy a junk yard bumper and hitch. You can probably just put the new hitch on and it will pull the frame back.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score

wow they actually care....im not use to that kind of treatment. thats great its not going to get totaled or receive a salvage title.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
For real, I dropped my bike last year and dinged the gas tank and they wanted to total it... I argued with them for a week before they finally bought me a tank instead of totaling my bike.