REAR DRUM BRAKE HOWLING NOISE AFTER LOWERING TRUCK ANY FIXES ?HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

llcjr

Reaction score
I HAVE A 1996 CHEVROLET CHEYENNE AND I PUT BRAND NEW BRAKE PAD UP FRONT AND NEW SHOES IN THE REAR WHEN I GOT IT IT NEVER MADE NOISE AND IT STOPPED FINE I BOUGHT A DJM 5/7 LOWERING KIT GOT IT PROFESSIONALLY DONE WITH NEW SHOCKS AND ALL FOUR CORNERS AND NOW FOR SOME REASON THE REAR DRUM MAKES A LOUD HOWLING NOISE WHEN I AM BRAKING AT A SLOW SPEED I WOULD SAY 10 MPH AND LOWER BUT AT HIGHER SPEEDS IT DOESNT MAKE THE NOISE ONLY COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP GOING SLOW HOW CAN I FIX THIS PROBLEM THE HOWLING IS ANNOYING CANT EVEN GO THROUGH A DRIVE THROUGH WITH ALL THAT NOISE. ITS WEIRD HOW IT STARTED ALL OF A SUDDEN ANY IDEAS?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude.... Caps lock button next to the letter "a" please press it.

As for your problem are you positive its your brakes and not something else? Possibly pinion angle is wrong?

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howling in the back can be your rearend is going downhill. Does it do it when you left off the gas an just coasting an you hear the howling?

My 89 c1500 does this where when I'm coasting down hill you'll hear it howling whomp whomp kinda sound but I kno the rearend is on its way out so getting it rebuilt soon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

llcjr

Reaction score
Howling in the back can be your rearend is going downhill. Does it do it when you left off the gas an just coasting an you hear the howling?

My 89 c1500 does this where when I'm coasting down hill you'll hear it howling whomp whomp kinda sound but I kno the rearend is on its way out so getting it rebuilt soon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
No it only does it when I'm hitting the brake going really slow like around 5-10 mph never hear it when I'm on the gas only when stopping

llcjr

Reaction score
Dude.... Caps lock button next to the letter "a" please press it.

As for your problem are you positive its your brakes and not something else? Possibly pinion angle is wrong?

I'm not positive it's the brakes because it doesn't happen all the time but most of the time it does when I hit the brakes 5-10 mph how do I fix the pinion angle on the truck? and why does it make the howling noise when applying the brakes?

kdhs10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine did something similar after I put a flip kit on it. Check your rear brake lines where they thread into the drums, somehow mine got bent almost 90* and more than likely caused the issue.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My '98 did the same thing after it was lowered. Even with new brakes. Worse with the 15's than the 20's.
Can't really help with an exact fix 'cause we threw a bunch of changes at it all at once. This included ditching the Belltech mount system in favour of a custom design, correcting the pinion angle, & having the new, never mounted drums, perfectly machined.
Never howled after that.
I'd say get the drums machined. Cheapest & easiest place to start. I've seen brand new ones right outa the box so badly warped they couldn't be trued by machining.
Older vehicle drums used to have a spring around them to prevent that resonance. May be possible to have a groove machined next to the lip of the drum for a spring.

http://www.classicindustries.com/impala/parts/h2316.html

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...uG2UxoV1bKgrPmdvD67-C_cMZsIboUQDaEqKHZ-uEhGmq

cobalt

Reaction score
sounds like an issue i had ....but the issue i had was caused by doing burnouts way to much and smoking the brakes.. not saying you did or the shop heck i seen a few people get it from being realy easy on the brakes and glazing them over. i fixed mine by getting the drums turned and using and emery cloth or somthing rilly course and sand a little on the pad to rough it up.

llcjr

Reaction score
Mine did something similar after I put a flip kit on it. Check your rear brake lines where they thread into the drums, somehow mine got bent almost 90* and more than likely caused the issue.

Ok thanks I'll start with checking that

llcjr

Reaction score
My '98 did the same thing after it was lowered. Even with new brakes. Worse with the 15's than the 20's.
Can't really help with an exact fix 'cause we threw a bunch of changes at it all at once. This included ditching the Belltech mount system in favour of a custom design, correcting the pinion angle, & having the new, never mounted drums, perfectly machined.
Never howled after that.
I'd say get the drums machined. Cheapest & easiest place to start. I've seen brand new ones right outa the box so badly warped they couldn't be trued by machining.
Older vehicle drums used to have a spring around them to prevent that resonance. May be possible to have a groove machined next to the lip of the drum for a spring.

http://www.classicindustries.com/impala/parts/h2316.html

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...uG2UxoV1bKgrPmdvD67-C_cMZsIboUQDaEqKHZ-uEhGmq
Thanks I'll check my rear brake lines first then move forward to the actual drums to see if it fixes that problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ben1975