Rear drum brake adjustment access port question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDgunner

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Why don’t Star Adjusters line up with access ports on 10b backer plates?

Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Your question requires us watching a video?
I took the chance and watched it (35 second video). Seems like a question for whoever made that backing plate for a definitive answer.

My guess, so you can check life of the friction material without pulling a drum off. If the adjuster is functional as designed, theres no need for access to it from outside. Adjust the shoes, install drum, wheel, and go down the road.

OP, if you want access to adjuster from outside, why not knock the plug out of the backing plate (looks pre-stamped) and put a rubber plug in it?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you have a specific problem? Special high temp brake lube is your friend when doing drum brakes and either installing new adjusters or servicing the old adjusters. Like @termite said, you can knock the plug out and recover with a rubber plug but.....I like to remove the drum and LOOK.

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Video explains my question.

Greetings SDgunner,

When it comes to the 2 opened up ports, I'm in agreement with @termite -- they
line up with the friction material on the shoes, so they are used as visual inspection
ports in order to be able to inspect how much life is left without opening everything up.
(Using the remaining thickness only as a pass/fail criteria? More on that in a minute.)

And you are also correct about the 2 yet-to-be-opened access ports where you can
adjust the rear brakes if the automatic adjuster function needs a little fine tuning.
(Or if you need to back the brakes way off in order to clear the ridge on the drums
after years of service and you can't get the drums off.)

NOTE: Giving yourself quick access to the starwheel via a rubber plug can be a big
help in keeping your brake pedal firm w/the correct travel over time. I usually touch these
up (just for the lightest drag) with every other oil change.

Jack the rear diff just until the rear wheels clear the ground, pop the plug, and using
a slotted screwdriver add in a few clicks until you just hear the lightest drag while rotating
the tire by hand, replace the plug, do the same thing on the other side, and you're done.
4-5 minutes tops if you stay up on this.

By the way, I find that I only need 1 access port open on each side. I'm thinking that
there are 2 removable plugs, one lined up for the driver's side, the other position is for
the passenger side? (Anyone else have input on this?)

So I think the above explains why these ports are placed where they are on the backing
plates. In the real world, however, I'm with @movietvet, when it comes to brakes, I'd much
rather perform a periodic visual inspection instead of just taking a quick peek at the thickness
of the shoe lining and calling it good. If you follow this link, you will see what I discovered
(to my surprise) when I opened up my rear brakes last summer. Plenty of meat still on
the shoes...but they still needed immediate replacement? (No joy due to bad heat cracks)

Good questions. And drum brakes are indeed going the way of the vacuum tube...but if
properly maintained, they can still give good service. And I like the way that you have
prepped those backing plates for another round of service.

Best of luck with your brake project.

Cheers --

Last edited:

SDgunner

Reaction score
Greetings SDgunner,

When it comes to the 2 opened up ports, I'm in agreement with @termite -- they
line up with the friction material on the shoes, so they are used as visual inspection
ports in order to be able to inspect how much life is left without opening everything up.
(Using the remaining thickness only as a pass/fail criteria? More on that in a minute.)

Good questions. And drum brakes are indeed going the way of the vacuum tube...but if
properly maintained, they can still give good service. And I like the way that you have
prepped those backing plates for another round of service.

Best of luck with your brake project.

Cheers --
Thanks for the input. Everything you wrote makes sense to me.