Rear differential need to be rebuilt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a bad day... My rear differential has been howling for about a year now but haven't got around to having it fixed.. Bad idea because today a gear came flying out and put a hole in the rear differential. It's leaking grey fluid rapidly and I brought it to a near-by shop and they said that the differential needs to be rebuilt and since its a posi, it will cost somewhere around $1800.. Is this a reasonable quote? And any other recommendations or opinions are welcome

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Replace the entire rear axle with one from a wrecking yard. Way cheaper. Find out the gear ratio and get the same one.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I had mine completely re done with one new axle shaft and seals/bearings and a Yukon posi unit and it was $1600 so 1800 is a rip.

LiftedVictory

Reaction score
Replace the entire rear axle with one from a wrecking yard. Way cheaper. Find out the gear ratio and get the same one.
What he said. Go to your local pull-a-part and snag you an axle with the same gear ratio. I have done that numerous times. or if you want to go all out, get one with some lower gears and find a front diff to match.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a good option if you can find a good axle that is known good, depends on if you want to take the risk of a JY axle.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
What do you suggest I do then?
Get a 14 bolt from the junk yard that's hands down the best way to go you'll never have to worry about it again I think i had 400 bucks at the most in my swap

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NOT MY DECISION, my dad brought my truck in to get fixed and they said the G80 locker was toast.. They are charging $1800 and putting in an open diff... This seems like WAY too much money to just rebuild the diff and take the locker out..

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Uh yes it is, tell your dad he is wasting money, for $1800 that should be a full rebuild, axle shafts, and a new posi/locker