Random cylinder msifire!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah thats true too. are you 100% sure nothing is getting the dist wet? oh wait, did you do anything with the ignition conrol modual? the tech 2 sounds like a great idea. my vortec misfired randomly also due to a icm but the lower compression in one cyl still gets to me.

That and the crank sensor are the two that i havent changed.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
I think the O2 sensors are defective and needs to be replaced with the ac delco ones. Have you tried replacing the TPS or CTS?

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you done a ckp relearn?

after a google search i come up with these possibilities most of which if not all we have already gone over.

ckp relearn
bad intake gasket
bad or dirty(clogged) egr valve
stuck open or closed poppet injectors
clogged fuel filter
vacuum leak

still i have not found any for sure fix to the situation....im scratching my head

Last edited:

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After i put the scanner on it, my cam retard was dead on at zero, not sure how i managed to do that but anyhow, i have not done a crank relearn. I'm going to pull the crank sensor next time it acts up and check the reluctor wheel for play to see if its loose. Its sad to say but i think i'm going to have to take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. Right now its running fine, still setting a P0300 code but running fine, which i can live with, the SES light wont kill me, but if it starts missing/stumbling or whatever you want to call it again, i'm going to take it to the dealer. Also the scanner i was using wasent a Tech 2 it was a Cornwell.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have experience with cornwell but if its anything like the tech 2 its amazing for the most part. if you havnt done an ICM i would definatly look into because my truck had the exact same problem but it was only when it was a little moist. then it got the same problem with the cowel hood because on wat dripping onto the dist. im pretty sure there is a way to test the ICM but i dont remember. when it happened the crank sensor was also throwing a code im pretty sure. it was about a year ago so its hard to remeber, but i would look into it for sure before the dealer rapes you!

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure you can do a ckp relearn with that scanner, u might want to try it to see if it fixes it.

Look at this page, in there it kind of explains "how to" do the ckp relearn

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2aeny-i-have-a-96-sub-with-5-7-vortec-i-just-changed-engines-and

What ever happens, whenever u do find the answer, make sure and post it. Too many Threads I've read with the same problem and no final answer on what fixed it. I am assuming in the other threads the "original posters" finally fixed it and never came back to the sites they were asking help from to finish the thread.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i went through about the same thing with my stumble but that was before i joined here. i just rememberd the other day and thought those things were already looked into.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
After i put the scanner on it, my cam retard was dead on at zero, not sure how i managed to do that but anyhow, i have not done a crank relearn. I'm going to pull the crank sensor next time it acts up and check the reluctor wheel for play to see if its loose. Its sad to say but i think i'm going to have to take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. Right now its running fine, still setting a P0300 code but running fine, which i can live with, the SES light wont kill me, but if it starts missing/stumbling or whatever you want to call it again, i'm going to take it to the dealer. Also the scanner i was using wasent a Tech 2 it was a Cornwell.

You must be registered for see images attach

Where do you buy one of those at?

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont know where to get 1, i borrowed it from a friend of a friend.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure you can do a ckp relearn with that scanner, u might want to try it to see if it fixes it.

Look at this page, in there it kind of explains "how to" do the ckp relearn

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2aeny-i-have-a-96-sub-with-5-7-vortec-i-just-changed-engines-and

What ever happens, whenever u do find the answer, make sure and post it. Too many Threads I've read with the same problem and no final answer on what fixed it. I am assuming in the other threads the "original posters" finally fixed it and never came back to the sites they were asking help from to finish the thread.
I bet it does need done, when i bought this truck, the guy said the motor was just put in from a 99! I'll give it a try and see what happens.