Random cylinder msifire!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The scanner i borrowed isent capable of doing a crank relearn, so i'm taking it to a guy across town tomorow nite, he said he can do it at his garage, i will let you guys know if it works.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that wasent it, it has been running real good the last two days, he put the Tech 2 on it and was watching the missfire counts and suggested i go through and check all the wires and pigtails at the connectors. Double check all the grounds, and if it still does it to try shimming the crank sensor out, he has had success getting them to quit giving false signals that way.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He did tell me he had one in the shop the other day doing the same thing and it ended up being a crack in the head between 5&7. He found it by running UV dye through it and pressuring it up to the max and letting it sit. He said he had a hard time finding a head locally,paid $200 for the head and had another $100 in it from the machine shop having it freshened up. So if i end up having to do this, where is the best place to buy NEW vortec style heads? I can get the compleat Summit Racing vortec's for $600-$700 shipped to the door.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-151124/

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
He did tell me he had one in the shop the other day doing the same thing and it ended up being a crack in the head between 5&7. He found it by running UV dye through it and pressuring it up to the max and letting it sit. He said he had a hard time finding a head locally,paid $200 for the head and had another $100 in it from the machine shop having it freshened up. So if i end up having to do this, where is the best place to buy NEW vortec style heads? I can get the compleat Summit Racing vortec's for $600-$700 shipped to the door.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-151124/

try ebay, napa or carquest.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i wouldn't go and spend another 600-1K bux w/out verifying if yours is even cracked or not. A burnt valve can also cause the issue and that would only be $100 or so to have a machine shop fix. You can take your heads to a machine shop and have them magnaflux the heads to see if they are cracked. If one is another set from a junk yard is only like 200 bux. If you are not going to mod this motor i would just go w/ the stock heads and have reworked.

my 2 cents

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still running good, still have the P0300 code but it running good. I havent had any stumbles or fouled plugs since he checked it out. I even drove it on a 250 mile round trip pulling the 95 on my trailer and only used a little more than 3/4 tank of gas! Thats damn good for this truck considering i got the same mileage pulling 5000 + lbs as i do when its just the truck.