Ran transmission 2 1/2 quarts low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have not driven it at that high of a speed again. I will do and see if the problem persists. It made a very apparent knocking sound. Similar to that of an engine knocking. Dont know if it was coming from the trans or transfer case.
I will have to take off the inspection plate to see if the bolts are loose or if the spacing is off. If the tc wasnt spaced correctly the transmission wouldve burned up by then surely right? Ive driven it around 30 miles so far.
What do you mean by "spacing"? Explain....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fine. How would you CHANGE the "spacing"? It's not like GM sells shims.

IF you used shims or washers to move the converter rearward (since you'd need negative-thickness shims to move it forward, and they're really scarce) what would a rearward torque converter affect in terms of knocking noise?

Last edited:

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want him to explain it in his own words so i can understand what he thinks hes talking about.
I thought there needed to be an 1/8th inch clearance between the flex plate and TC. Am i wrong? Also the problem has not persisted but i still havent taken it on the highway. Also can shuddering be caused by low trans fluid? I did not have any of these problems before the trans swap. Both are 94k1500 transmissions. Did not reuse old tc either.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought there needed to be an 1/8th inch clearance between the flex plate and TC. Am i wrong? Also the problem has not persisted but i still havent taken it on the highway. Also can shuddering be caused by low trans fluid? I did not have any of these problems before the trans swap. Both are 94k1500 transmissions. Did not reuse old tc either.
Yes, 1/8" to 3/16" is what should exist between the flexplate and TC mounting pads. and its not something you should ever need to adjust. So when you say the installer "didn't get the spacing right" it implies there is some sort of adjustment procedure that has to be done when there isn't.

Shuddering can be caused by low fluid as can slipping, delayed engagements, slipping, flare shifting, tie ups and a host of other problems...if fluid is too low, you wont move...

Transmissions dont make knocking sounds, that is something else..like Schuekey said, check your flexplate (cracks) and TC-Flexplate bolts (loose). Make sure you dont have either problem before driving it again (if you havent already). Also rule out the engine itself as the knocking source.

If you have done all those things and all is well, take it on the highway and see what happens.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought there needed to be an 1/8th inch clearance between the flex plate and TC. Am i wrong?

Yes, 1/8" to 3/16" is what should exist between the flexplate and TC mounting pads. and its not something you should ever need to adjust.
DURING (but not after) complete installation of the transmission. Some clearance BEFORE THE TORQUE CONVERTER IS PULLED FORWARD and bolted to the flexplate.

There's no clearance once the converter is bolted to the flexplate.

In normal service, this is never "adjusted", it just exists.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DURING (but not after) complete installation of the transmission. Some clearance BEFORE THE TORQUE CONVERTER IS PULLED FORWARD and bolted to the flexplate.

There's no clearance once the converter is bolted to the flexplate.

In normal service, this is never "adjusted", it just exists.
Yes, Correct. During installation-mating the trans with the engine while the converter fully, properly installed, there will be a 1/8" inch gap between it and the flexplate upon trans-engine mating. Then you must pull the tc to the flexplate to close the gap to install the bolts.

We are beginning to overcomplicate something simple.

My point to the OP was its not something that is adjusted (ie "getting the spacing right") which is what he has been saying and wanted to make it clear there was no adjustment process.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shuddering can be caused by low fluid as can slipping, delayed engagements, slipping, flare shifting, tie ups and a host of other problems...if fluid is too low, you wont move...

Transmissions dont make knocking sounds, that is something else..like Schuekey said, check your flexplate (cracks) and TC-Flexplate bolts (loose). Make sure you dont have either problem before driving it again (if you havent already). Also rule out the engine itself as the knocking source.
alright thankyou for the info. Are there any common problems with the transfer case which im pretty sure is an np241 (has the shifter on the floor) such as any common bearing failures and whatnot. I think the fluid might be low as the seal connecting to the rear driveshaft is leaking.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My point to the OP was its not something that is adjusted (ie "getting the spacing right") which is what he has been saying and wanted to make it clear there was no adjustment process.
What are all the videos harping on torque converter spacing, using spacers etc? Is this relevant for using aftermarket converters and stuff?