Ran transmission 2 1/2 quarts low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got my truck back from a trans swap. When i got it i checked it and it was overfilled by alot, guy said it should go down after driving it a little. I drove it for a little and when i checked it, it didnt even read on dipstick so i ran to autozone as fast as I could and i had to put in a little over 2 1/2 to getnit back in the “hot” hatched section. Did i ruin anything? Trans supposedly has 3k on it and only ran it for around 10 or so miles.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First, your transmission shop is garbage if they didn't take care to get the fill level right before giving it back to you.

Second, if it's driving fine, you're probably okay.
I got the transmission installed from trading my 78 c10 short box for it. The guy installed it and brought it back with an o2 sensor not connected, exhaust y pipe flange(one of the studs were non existent) and the cooler lines were loose and leaking. I think it was just shifting hard because it was cold?

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First, your transmission shop is garbage if they didn't take care to get the fill level right before giving it back to you.

Second, if it's driving fine, you're probably okay.
Transmission was also making a high pitched tone when put in 1st or 2nd if that means anything aswell

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the transmission installed from trading my 78 c10 short box for it. The guy installed it and brought it back with an o2 sensor not connected, exhaust y pipe flange(one of the studs were non existent) and the cooler lines were loose and leaking. I think it was just shifting hard because it was cold?
That's not how it works...if the shifts are harsh/overly hard, its either mechanically calibrated for a higher stall TC than what you're running or there's something wrong with it.

What transmission?

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not how it works...if the shifts are harsh/overly hard, its either mechanically calibrated for a higher stall TC than what you're running or there's something wrong with it.

What transmission?
4l60e. Sometimes it shifts hard either 1-2 or 2-3 (im not sure which one) but i think thats normal 4l60 things? I have no idea but its alot better than my old one which shifted like you were a passenger in a manual car. Guy told me computer has to learn the transmission so be easy on it. I still have my old transmission so im going to try to rebuild that and figure out whats wrong with it. It is a 94 so i dont know if the transmissions werent Buttery smooth from the factory to begin with but my brothers 2000 4l80 crew cab shifts like butter.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4l60e. Sometimes it shifts hard either 1-2 or 2-3 (im not sure which one) but i think thats normal 4l60 things? I have no idea but its alot better than my old one which shifted like you were a passenger in a manual car. Guy told me computer has to learn the transmission so be easy on it. I still have my old transmission so im going to try to rebuild that and figure out whats wrong with it. It is a 94 so i dont know if the transmissions werent Buttery smooth from the factory to begin with but my brothers 2000 4l80 crew cab shifts like butter.
Next time you drive it, find out which one is hard-shifting and reply back...I'd bet it is the 1-2 shift as the 2-3 shift very rarely shift's 'hard' unless stuff has been done to make it so and even then, it should shift fast, not hard...It's most certainly not normal or healthy for the transmission by any stretch of the imagination to shift in the manner in which you're describing unless it was set up that way on purpose for a street/strip type application and if that's the case, the converter stall is too low for the mods that have been done...The 4L60Es and 80Es do not need relearn time nor any 'fast adapt' relearn procedures performed...You don't get into that stuff until the 6-speeds starting in late 2006.

The transmission should shift quickly and crisply through all gears, both upshifts and downshifts.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This doesn’t sound good either.
Its could be the reverse input drum reacting with the sun shell during the 1-2 shift when the drum goes from freewheeling in the case to being arrested upon the servo applying the band. If that's what it is, its normal. If if its real high pitched, that's usually something binding or grinding, metal on metal either due to bearing failure or component structural failure.

Given what this shop has said and did, I wouldnt be surprised in the least if it was the latter.