Ran transmission 2 1/2 quarts low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its could be the reverse input drum reacting with the sun shell during the 1-2 shift when the drum goes from freewheeling in the case to being arrested upon the servo applying the band. If that's what it is, its normal. If if its real high pitched, that's usually something binding or grinding, metal on metal either due to bearing failure or component structural failure.

Given what this shop has said and did, I wouldnt be surprised in the least if it was the latter.
I’ll take your word for it Nick.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its could be the reverse input drum reacting with the sun shell during the 1-2 shift when the drum goes from freewheeling in the case to being arrested upon the servo applying the band. If that's what it is, its normal. If if its real high pitched, that's usually something binding or grinding, metal on metal either due to bearing failure or component structural failure.

Given what this shop has said and did, I wouldnt be surprised in the least if it was the latter.
I forgot to add that the high pitched tone went away the next day after i added the 2 1/2 quarts. And what shop are you referring to?

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does a trans go from

to

in ten miles, unless there's an immense leak, or the doofus who did the work never started the engine after dumping fluid in?
Yeah he was supposed to test drive it afterwards which he said he did, but also this is what the trans cooler lines looked like.
You must be registered for see images attach

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what shop are you referring to?

This shop, the one who did the work and whom referred to in your post below and elsewhere in this thread.
I got the transmission installed from trading my 78 c10 short box for it. The guy installed it and brought it back with an o2 sensor not connected, exhaust y pipe flange(one of the studs were non existent) and the cooler lines were loose and leaking. I think it was just shifting hard because it was cold?
Why do you ask?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This shop, the one who did the work and whom referred to in your post below and elsewhere in this thread.

Why do you ask?
I think he means “the guy” who installed his transmission and not technically “a shop”. Semantics!
Although, a guy often works in a shop. Or should I say “a person”?

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well guys the transmission now makes a wirring sound and wont upshift past second. This all of a sudden happened after I attempted to change my bent axle out but the one that i happened to get in the trade turned out to be too short. I got my hands tied and im about to just tell the damn truck.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well guys the transmission now makes a wirring sound and wont upshift past second. This all of a sudden happened after I attempted to change my bent axle out but the one that i happened to get in the trade turned out to be too short. I got my hands tied and im about to just tell the damn truck.
Yank out the trans for overhaul.